• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some advice on a ROM

er161803

Lurker
Nov 21, 2012
I only recently was able to root my Samsung Admire, with the specific reason to remove the bloatware. I have followed suggestions from another thread, but I have simply not been able to remove any of the bloatware apps, but I do in fact have root (used a root checker).

I was suggested that I install a ROM. So I have a few questions before I begin that process:

1. If installing a ROM, will I need to program the phone with the carrier's information to make phone calls, etc, or is the phone ready to use as soon as the ROM is installed?
2. Are there any recommended ROMs for the Samsung Admire?
3. Just to confirm, installing a ROM will first delete all the bloatware, and allow me full control of what apps I have on my phone, correct?

If it sounds like I am hesitant about installing a ROM, I am, especially after reading how some people have bricked their phones.

Any additional advice to the above would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I only recently was able to root my Samsung Admire, with the specific reason to remove the bloatware. I have followed suggestions from another thread, but I have simply not been able to remove any of the bloatware apps, but I do in fact have root (used a root checker).

I was suggested that I install a ROM. So I have a few questions before I begin that process:

1. If installing a ROM, will I need to program the phone with the carrier's information to make phone calls, etc, or is the phone ready to use as soon as the ROM is installed?
2. Are there any recommended ROMs for the Samsung Admire?
3. Just to confirm, installing a ROM will first delete all the bloatware, and allow me full control of what apps I have on my phone, correct?

If it sounds like I am hesitant about installing a ROM, I am, especially after reading how some people have bricked their phones.

Any additional advice to the above would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1. Yes you're phone will be fully operational after flashing
2. Best rom kinda depends on your preference of what you want, head over to all things root guide in the all thing root forum to see rom list. though Monster 5.3 and OA are still the best at the moment.
3. Most roms are debloated but you have to remember what you consider bloat may not be what the maker of the rom considers bloat. for the most part yes roms are usually fully debloated.

4. you really shouldnt be worried about bricking your phone, if you take the proper steps to prevent the worst case scenario(which is the phone stuck in a bootloop) then you will be fine. the proper steps are making a backup after installing CWM by reading the thread in the all things root forum. and just make sure you read the flashing instructions. i feel like if someone fully bricks our phones beyond repair at this point in time you kinda deserve it for not taking the proper steps

Reactions: Mrl81
Upvote 0
ya i have been doin some research, i havent heard if your able to without rooting my phone? ive been makin sure i read up backing up my phone to nandroid or even using cwm. i understand thats where people usually mess up or brick thier phones! Can i do it? lol i know it probaby gets repetetive but thank you!!!! ive been thinking Mystery Emotions rom admiral beast though

Upvote 0
No you don't have to be rooted to flash roms with THIS phone. As long as you have CWM you can flash, backup, and restore. Which is recommended you install first and then create a backup so you can restore to stock. Flashing a rom will however root you seeing how roms are all given superuser permissions. And people don't really truly 100% brick their phones while flashing roms seeing how it can easily be restored. SO AGAIN AND I SAY THIS IN CAP TO FURTHER STRESS MY.ALREADY MADE POINT. MAKE A MAKEUP, THIS IS THE FIRST THING YOU.SHOULD DO!!!

Reactions: Mrl81
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones