1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Some General Questions about The Transformer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by andoroido, Jun 9, 2011.

1. andoroido

andoroido Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a transformer very soon, and I am looking for few key features and their usability.

-How is the usability of other languages, how would I input japanese words, is there native support?
    -Next, Can I view network files of different OS's windows, linux [samba], and macs?
    -Can I stream / watch these files from the network's location without coping them to my transformer?
    -Does subtitles finally work with different file containers?
    -Is 1080p format viewable on transformer, or does it have to be 720p size?
    -Is the VNC usability and is there a video preview? Transformer controling Computer via linux and windows?
    Thanks everyone for reading, had issues researching this compared to old information / cell android OS information.

Language support?
    Viewing network?
    Stream of videos and music?
    Subtitles in movies?
    Large size formats movies?
    VNC usability?

Thank you for any future help!

Advertisement

2. kampfwolf09

kampfwolf09 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    NC
    Definitely can view and play files over a network. I'm using Tversity for it, but any DLNA server will work.

I use PocketCloud for remote PC access. Works pretty good on Win7..even over 3G tethered.

I've heard 1080p content in a supported playback will work but is choppy. I haven't personally tried it so I can't confirm.

andoroido likes this.
  3. andoroido

andoroido Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    kampfwolf09, Oh this sounds like great news! The VNC controlling, did you use remote access over the same network, or did you setup VNC server on your Windows 7 computer?

Thanks for the information.

4. kampfwolf09

None

Apr 26, 2011
    NC
    pocketcloud uses vnc and some of their own software on the PC. Basically it secures it through my gmail.com acct and separate pw. I can access the PC from any available internet connection. This is better than the mycloud app, which I believe only allows remote over LAN.

5. andoroido

andoroido Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    kampfwolf09, Oh! Very interesting. Is it pretty slow VNCing it out-of-network?

6. kampfwolf09

None

Apr 26, 2011
    NC
    It's definitely not as fast as wifi, but still useable to pulling up a file or running small tasks. Even 3G on my phone works reasonably well, and the 3G in this area is not fast (less than 2Mb). Main gripe I have is it doesn't do well with resizing windows on PC. Windows itself resizes fine, just any programs default to the normal PC resolution size.

7. andoroido

andoroido Member
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    kampfwolf09, is there a zoom feature on the vnc application or a 1:1 ratio setting? Would this help with resizing issue?

8. kampfwolf09

None

Apr 26, 2011
    NC
    Not sure, haven't really messed with the settings on the PC software. I know there isn't an option in the app on the TF. There is supposed to be a pinch to zoom feature on the paid version of pocketcloud.