1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Some help in getting Clockwork 3.x installed on Desire

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by murraynt, Sep 6, 2011.

1. murraynt

murraynt Lurker

First off hello everybody, I'm new here as you can see.

I have recentally ventured into rooting and installing custom ROMs on my HTC desire.

I was running 2.2 stock up untill two days ago when I rooted my device and installled CyanogenMod 7.

My problems started when I restored my back up file from titanium. The phone would start up perfectly before this, but after it just hung on the boot screen.

After a little research I think I have narrowed it down to it being the fact that my phone is running Clockwork 2.50.

I have tried installing 3.0 from a .zip file along with using Rom manager.
    Neither seem to want to update it.
    It says that it is successful but when i boot into recovery I get the same 2.50 screen again and again.

I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong and I am hoping these fourms can help out a newbie like me :)

EDIT: Also Rom manager mentions 5.x.x versions but no 3.x.x versions. Could I possibly use one of the 5.x.x versions?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You should visit the Desire All Things Root forum. Read the guides in the sticky thread "all about rooting", which is the red link in my sig.

The failure after restoring from Ti Backup won't be clockwork 2.5.0.7 - that's actually the most stable CWM build for the Desire, and anyway Ti is nothing to do with the recovery. The question is, what exactly did you restore from Titanium? Missing user apps and their data should be OK, but system data and setting should not be restored between ROMs. The reason you wipe the phone before installing a ROM is that the system settings are likely to be incompatible between ROMs, which can result in anything from subtle bugs to the phone not booting at all (very often the latter). If you restore these from Titanium you've just undone the wipe, so my guess is that that's what caused your problem.

One of the first things you'll see in the desire root forum is a sticky thread warning you not to use ROM Manager. That app is I believe fine on most phones, but on Desires it too often causes problems, including some very messy ones, so it's safer to just use the custom recovery that was installed when you rooted. Even now, with the warning there, it's still the number one cause of USB bricks we see.

I suspect the reason why ROM Manager didn't seem to be updating your CWM was that when you "boot into recovery" you are using the "recovery" option from the reboot menu (long press on power button), or else going through HBOOT. A Desire rooted using modern methods (i.e. within the last 13 months) has a permanently installed custom recovery, but ROM Manager is designed for phones without that, and uses a trick called "fake flash" to run it's own recovery. So my guess is that you were booting into the "real" recovery rather than RM's version, which is why the update didn't seem to work. But as I've said, you shouldn't use ROM Manager with the Desire.