• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some n00bish questions

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Canada
I was looking on the Best Buy website saw this tablet for $399, $100 cheaper than the PlayBook which I was planning on buying. I have a few questions:

1. To use this tablet do you need to hook it up to a computer to use the full experience? Why exactly is it called 'transformer' ?

2. How does this compare to the Xoom and Galaxy Tab?

3. To people who own it, any complaints? Is it fast?

Thanks.

Go read some reviews. ;)

1- It's called "transformer" because with the keyboard it "transforms" from a tablet into an Android Netbook. At this point you'd have to "root" and spend hours getting Linux working to be able to use DVDs, CDs, etc... I use it as a portable device when I'm away from home- for movies, games, taking notes, doing LIGHT work, checking email, etc... I still keep a regular laptop, since you really can't do EVERYTHING on the Transformer.

2- read the reviews and specs. Try engadget.com, cnet.com, etc...

3- My biggest complaint is that the left speaker is weak. Not a huge deal, I use headphones for movies anyway. Otherwise Android is still buggy sometimes, apps do weird things on occasion. Luckily a restart usually fixes most issues, and it is quite speedy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones