• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some new info on i7500 multitouch

Sometimes it isn't desirable, but it's nevertheless normal. And this is the case on most (if not all) touchscreens (even the resistive ones). Imagine what would be like without it (remember you don't have a finger of a size of a single pixel :) )

So, does that mean that all touch screens are essentially multi touch,
and it's up to software whether to handle it or not?

If you have to average two positions, that means you have to be aware
of two positions first. Also, if you can detect a palm, you have to know
that a big area is pressed. I mean, even one finger does not press a pixel
but an area of pixels (which is perhaps what the averaging is meant for).

The only way it would make sense (to me) to build a touch screen is to
have all of the sensors report (at the same time) whether they are
activated or not.

The driver would poll the state of the screen at quick intervals and build
a 320x480 matrix of what is momentarily pressed. The no-multitouch driver
would then discard everything but the position that was pressed last, but
the multitouch driver would broadcast two (or more) youngest positions.

Hmm...

Upvote 0
So, does that mean that all touch screens are essentially multi touch,
and it's up to software whether to handle it or not?

It doesn't. If you take a look at how resistive touchscreens work you'll see there are no "touch sensors". There are just two (or more) layers of resistive material of which the resistance is measured when they are joined by pressure. You don't get coordinates. You just get resistance. And with resistance, you calculate (and approximate) coordinates.

EDIT: That is, you don't get discrete values from the touchscreen itself, of course. You have to do ADC to digitize it. And with this, there is no way to extrapolate multiple touches (because of the hardware). Everything is a single touch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones