1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Some questions about GPS

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by cardinalwolsey, Dec 6, 2013.

1. cardinalwolsey

None

Nov 20, 2013
    Short version:
    Is it only running if the icon is visible in the status bar (I'm on 4.1.2)? THey used to say to only turn it on when you need it to save battery, but I read that doesn't apply to 4.1+, so leaving it on all the time wouldn't affect battery? Can it run when the screen is off (ie, some sneaky app sending my location without me knowing)?

Longer version:
    I use Cerberus in case I lose my phone, and because apps can't turn on GPS like they could in previous versions of Android, I thought I should just leave it on all the time because I wouldn't be able to turn GPS on remotely if I lost my phone (I have since found that if you're rooted other apps CAN turn GPS on).

I also use Llama (alongside Secure Settings), so I could set it to turn GPS on when I open Maps, My Tracks etc and then turn it off when I close those apps. Is there any point in going to all that effort, or should I just leave GPS on all the time?

THanks.

Advertisement

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    I personally just leave mine enabled all of the time. It really doesn't cause much, if any, drain when it's not in use. GPS can function while the screen is off; it's always good to pay close attention to which apps have permission to access the GPS just in case there's something asking for ridiculous permissions (like a flashlight app that needs access to GPS, mobile data, contacts, etc).

3. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Male
    Seattle
    It's the apps that use GPS that will cause drain. Some are horrible and use a lot of power. I just leave mine on all the time and avoid those apps.

I'm pretty sure apps can access your GPS while the screen is off.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Extreme Android User
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    It's even a feature of some GPS apps to leave GPS on for track recording while the screen is off :)

5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

What phone are you using?

... Thom

6. cardinalwolsey

None

Nov 20, 2013
    Yeah I'll probably just leave it on then, cetainly sounds the easiest thing to do. Thanks guys.

I'll have a look what apps can use GPS and if there's any that don't need it I'll I might look into one of those apps that denies certain permissions. If I can be bothered.