1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Some questions about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Kharl, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

I have read something about rooting
    i discovered that rooting is one thing and that installing a custom rom is another thing

in my case the only thing i want in my phone is to enable the MMI codes functions and to remove the hotspot restriction (AT&T is well known by blocking the hotspot functionality of their phone if used with another network.

My doubs and questions:

Can i do that with rooting the device?
    once i modify what i need to modify in order to get those functions working back again.. can i "unroot" the system back?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #10 by kris443, Feb 7, 2017 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Chetnick

Chetnick Newbie

Yes you can unroot your phone
    Check which radio mode your phone is in. If it's not in CDMA mode, then the MMI code you are entering will not work

4. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Interesting.. I never thought about it
    How dobi know if ly phone is in in cdma mode.. Knowing this is a at&t phone i wouldnt be surprised tjat function isfunctiñ

5. Chetnick

Chetnick Newbie

You can try with USSD codes

6. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Give me a ussd code to try

7. Chetnick

Chetnick Newbie

Android Information

*#44336# Software Version Info
    *#1234# View SW Version PDA, CSC, MODEM
    *#12580*369# SW & HW Info
    *#197328640# Service Mode
    *#06# = IMEI Number.
    *#1234# = Firmware Version.
    *#2222# = H/W Version.
    *#8999*8376263# = All Versions Together.
    *#272*imei#* Product code
    *#*#3264#*#*- RAM version
    *#92782# = Phone Model
    *#*#9999#*#*= Phone/pda/c

8. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

What is brand and model number of your phone?

scary alien likes this.
  9. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

Just a word / caution that rooting (nowadays, anyway) is somewhat invasive to your device and is not necessarily easily removable...

While rooted (or while your device is in a non-stock state), it's likely that you'll not be able to receive/install an OTA without taking other measures.

I guess what I'm saying is that rooting is not an effort or event that's not without baggage...

Cheers!

#8 scary alien, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    tube517 and Jfalls63 like this.
  10. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

If it's a AT&T branded device, might be more trouble than it's worth if even possible. Availability of stock firmware in the event of soft brick/borked device is also worth checking in to.

tube517 and scary alien like this.
  11. kris443

kris443 Member

root your phone only if you are financially able to throw it away.
    flash a custom rom on your phone only....
    You may well brick it and find yourself asking questions on the forums that no one has answers for.
    Before I buy a phone, I check sites like xda to make sure it is easily rootable and flashable and few or no problems.
    I have flashed perhaps a dozen phones.
    These days I stick with stock as I kept finding that custom roms and rooting/flashing procedures too often just don't work.

12. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

None of those but the imei woks

13. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Kyocera e6560

14. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Aware of that, thats why my desires are, to root the device, tofix the things and then to unroot it back

15. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Yes it is an at&t device :(

16. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

scary alien likes this.
  17. kris443

kris443 Member

99.9% you can't do that - once you have used the exploit, it knows it and won't update. You would have to flash original stock if you want it to update.

scary alien likes this.
  18. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

What is " exploit"?

And what you mean with "update"?

19. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

An exploit is the security "hole" (vulnerability) that allows the root installer to achieve super user (root) access.

Regarding the "update" reference: you would NOT be able to install any over-the-air updates that are sent to your device while it is rooted (that's not strictly true as there are sophisiticated (IMO) options, but for the most part, it is). Your only recourse to receive and install an OTA (over-the-air) update would be to first flash your device back to stock (if that function is available to you, which is often/sometimes not).

20. Kharl

Kharl Well-Known Member

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification

I really dobt care about too mih the updates, i honestly dont ever think at&t will ever send an update for this phone

All i want is to use mmi codes and hotspot function, more crucial is the mmi codes for me

21. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

The main reason I have for rooting/installing a custom ROM is to have a newer version of Android than is available for the device. In this case to update a 2012 Moto G beyond 5.1 Lollipop ( Marshmallow & nougat versions are available over on xda. It's not my daily driver, so if it borks/bricks beyond recovering, then it's scrap.

22. kris443

kris443 Member

Do you have to root? In my case Moto G3 I unlocked via Motorola site, flashed TWRP twrp-osprey-3.0.2-r5.img, flashed bootloader image, then used TWRP to back up my present stock, then flashed lineage-14.1-20170207-nightly-osprey-signed.zip and open_gapps-arm-7.1-mini-20170213.zip per instructions on xda and booted. I never had to root, and the new lineage roms are not rooted. Nice. Easy. You would use a Falcon ROM, but the rest is probably the same. Lineage roms are what became of the now defunct cyanogenmod.

#21 kris443, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017