• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some questions about the $30 prepaid plan.

I bought the $30 prepaid plan and this question has been lingering over my head over a while that are not in the sticky that I have questions about.

1. Is there rollover data for this plan? I see that prepaid plans have it. But does this one have it? Or will I have to stick with my wasted GB's

2. Does the feature (have unlimited 4g for music apps like Spotify, GPlayMusic, or any other music app) work for this plan? Or will I have to stick with wasting my 5Gbs of 4g.

Last edited:
You two, you fooled me! :p

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10969

Unlimited music does apply to this plan :p
You may want to check with T-Mobile customer support to be sure. I was told in no uncertain terms that the internet-only $30/5GB plan is a special offer that does not qualify for Music Freedom. They told me that only the $50+ prepaid plans qualify.

That was last year, though, so the policy could have quietly changed. In fact, I hope it has - let me know if you learn any solid information, I'd love to be wrong!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may want to check with T-Mobile customer support to be sure. I was told in no uncertain terms that the internet-only $30/5GB plan is a special offer that does not qualify for Music Freedom. They told me that only the $50+ prepaid plans qualify.

That was last year, though, so the policy could have quietly changed. In fact, I hope it has - let me know if you learn any solid information, I'd love to be wrong!
Just called em. I'm right! :p

Free music for me, kinda sad there's still no data stash for this plan :(

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
According to this T-Mobile page, "Simply Prepaid" plans (where the $30 5GB plan is listed) do not include Music Freedom, but "Simple Choice Prepaid" plans do include it.

On that page click "Compare our monthly prepaid plans" near the top to see what's included in each.
That's odd, I called em and they said it is right. But who knows. I might just go on a little road trip with my friend Spotify and find out.

Upvote 0
I hope it turns out to be included, let us know when you find out :)
Appearently, from an official TForce Agent on Tmobiles support page, this is true.

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/84476

Quote:

"I understand how frustrating it can be to get unclear answers, and conflicting information. I'm here to help. In our system, the $30 Walmart plan is considered a Pay-in-Advance plan, which qualifies on the list. As an update, we've recently had a Google as one of our Music Freedom partners. :)"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought the $30 prepaid plan and this question has been lingering over my head over a while that are not in the sticky that I have questions about.

1. Is there rollover data for this plan? I see that prepaid plans have it. But does this one have it? Or will I have to stick with my wasted GB's

2. Does the feature (have unlimited 4g for music apps like Spotify, GPlayMusic, or any other music app) work for this plan? Or will I have to stick with wasting my 5Gbs of 4g.
I kinda dont understand the rollover question... The appeal of this plan is for heavy data users, if you have extra data at the end of the month- even with 5 GB alloted... This probably isnt the plan for you anyway.
I came from virgin mobile whose 2.5 GB I could burn through in 10 days even trying to be prudent. Im burning through 5 now halfway through the month and I am not even a heavy video/youtube user.
One thing I note about T mobile, once youre data throttled you really are crippled, most websites wont even load. At least paypal and amazon will load secure payment pages. On VM they wouldnt tho websites loaded faster.

Upvote 0
Rollover is easy,
Browsing is random. You use only 4GB this month, but need 6GB next month.

Still adds up to 10GB for 2 months. Rollover.............good
No I understand how rollover works I just cannot fathom having any data left to roll over and assume anyone looking at this plan is already using all they get.
Then again if you are home a lot and have wifi maybe you arent using that much data in that case this plan prolly still isnt for you as the 100 min talk isnt enough for most people.

Upvote 0
No I understand how rollover works I just cannot fathom having any data left to roll over and assume anyone looking at this plan is already using all they get.
Then again if you are home a lot and have wifi maybe you arent using that much data in that case this plan prolly still isnt for you as the 100 min talk isnt enough for most people.

And I'd say that you are wrong in your assumptions. I've known plenty of people who used this plan because they don't talk a lot while using some data (more than 1GB) and this being one of the cheapest plans available for their needs. In particular, people who might be around WiFi most of the time, so don't have huge data needs, but occasionally have months where they are away from their WiFi so need the data. Those people, in particular, would love to have rollover.

Of course, I can't see any carrier offering rollover on a plan this inexpensive. I was surprised they give Music Freedom to this plan; particularly with the persistent rumors that T-Mobile was going to end this plan, or at least make it HSPA+ only (no LTE).

Upvote 0
Does this plan include BingeOn

The T-Mobile Prepaid pages say it's included with Simple Choice prepaid, but don't specifically mention it with the $30 5GB plan.

$30 5GB plan page:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/other-prepaid-plans

Included with Simple Choice prepaid:
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-prepaid-plans

However in the Q&A here is says "Any new or existing customer with 3GB data plan or larger can stream for free without worrying about your data."

So I'm not positive either way, but that's what I found. Hopefully someone will find out for sure. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones