• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some questions before installing my first ROM...

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
Plan to install LeeDroid 2.2a on a Desire (presently 2.1). Rooted with clockwork 2.5.0.7 custom image, and partitioned SD card with ext3.

1. I'm hearing about flashing radios bricking the phones, because of incompatibilities. The LeeDroid ROM doesn't come with a radio, but there's one posted in the thread.(v.32.47.00.32U 5.10.05.23). If I install that after installing the ROM, would that be a problem considering I have the 2.1 stock radio? (mine: v4.08.00.09) I am currently on 0.83.001 HBOOT.

2. I have about 24mb free on my internal memory. Do I need more before installing the ROM?

3. Do I need to do a factory reset, or similar, before install?

4. I plan to use the 8gb SD card the Desire came with. Anyone know if this is a serious problem with A2SD+; which moves apps to the SD card? (Since it isn't a class 6 card, and may be either 2 or 4)

1. Bricking is always a risk. The radio you mention isn't the most recent but may be the right one for that ROM. I use DeFrost ROM ([ROM-FroYo AOSP+CyanogenMod] DeFroST 5.5 18/10: HAVS/FM/MODS/OTA - xda-developers) which I would recommend highly.

It's constantly updated and the relevant radio's are always available to download on the first page too.

2. It will wipe your internal memory so don't worry about free space (see 3).

3. Wipe when you install. Easiest way is to use ROM Manager. When you choose "Install ROM from SD card" it gives you the option to wipe and to back up current ROM. I'd advise doing both first time round.

4. The SD card it comes with will be fine. Partition through ROM Manager. Ext size 512Mb and 0Mb Swap size. Do this before you install your ROM. Beware it will wipe the card so back up all data off it first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones