• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some questions from a new Android user - Please help!

silasisme

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
I recently switched from a Blackberry to the Samsung Galaxy Note, and have generally not regretted the switch at all. However, there are some questions/issues I'm having that I'm hoping someone can help me with. If these questions are rather basic, please be kind to me- I'm not very technologically inclined.

1. How do I customize the SMS alert tones on my Note for different contacts? I'd like to know when its my boss texting me as opposed to when its a friend or family member.

2. How can I change the default reminder time on my Note? It is currently set to "on time" but I'd like it set to "15 min before". I currently have it synced with my Google Calendar, which is very convenient- do I change a setting there, or is there something I do on my phone?

3. I installed the Gmail app to receive emails from my gmail account, but now I get alerts from both the gmail app and the email application that came on the phone when I bought it. How can I only get email alerts from the gmail app, not the native application?

Again, if these are simple questions, please be kind! Thank you to anyone who can help me sort these things out!

I recently switched from a Blackberry to the Samsung Galaxy Note, and have generally not regretted the switch at all. However, there are some questions/issues I'm having that I'm hoping someone can help me with. If these questions are rather basic, please be kind to me- I'm not very technologically inclined.

1. How do I customize the SMS alert tones on my Note for different contacts? I'd like to know when its my boss texting me as opposed to when its a friend or family member.

2. How can I change the default reminder time on my Note? It is currently set to "on time" but I'd like it set to "15 min before". I currently have it synced with my Google Calendar, which is very convenient- do I change a setting there, or is there something I do on my phone?

3. I installed the Gmail app to receive emails from my gmail account, but now I get alerts from both the gmail app and the email application that came on the phone when I bought it. How can I only get email alerts from the gmail app, not the native application?

Again, if these are simple questions, please be kind! Thank you to anyone who can help me sort these things out!

Congratz on the switch! For the ringtone, just click on the contact, in your contacts and click default tone and change to your liking. for the Reminder im not too sure on as i dont use it. For the email, just click your email app, and go into the settings and disable the refresh rate, or press dont give me notifications.

Reactions: silasisme
Upvote 0
Thank you th3goob, I do appreciate the help! When it comes to alerts I'm wondering if there is a way to customize the alert when I get an text (SMS) message from a particular contact, not a phone call. When I customized the ringtone per your instructions the alert stayed the same for texts. Am I doing it wrong?
Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones