1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Some questions from a Windows Phone (Gasp) convert

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by PierWithBeer, Jun 21, 2016.

1. PierWithBeer

PierWithBeer Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2016
    Male
    Hi all - first time post here so please dont beat me up too much! I am a recent convert from Windows Phone to Android (LG G3). So far - I love it. I had a lot of problems with my old windows phone but there are a couple of things I really miss.

The first thing is that I can't figure out a reasonable way to send and receive texts while driving and connected to my car's audio via bluetooth.

I tried downloading good ol' cortana from the play store, but the app is very limited compared to it's windows phone counterpart.

I also tried using the Dragon app, which seemed promising - but when it was in "listening" mode for driving, it monopolized the bluetooth connection in my 2013 CR-V and made it appear that it was perpetually in a call when it really wasn't.

Basically, what I want is something to prompt me while driving to read any incoming text messages, and also give me the option to reply to them.

It would also be nice to have the ability to send a text with just my voice without having to unlock the screen.

Another nice feature would be to open some basic apps such as the music player or pandora via voice.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    here in Oklahoma, USA, texting while driving, or fiddling with the knobs on the car radio will earn you a nice visit in the jail bar hotel.

I suggest you totally forget anything that has to do with taking your eyes and ears off the road.

It is folks doing what you are doing, that ran my motorcycle off the road twice this year.

Contrary to what 99.99% of the population thinks, you CANNOT think and drive while concentrating on something besides the road in front of you.
    It is my life you are playing with.... forget the damn phone.

Divert your eyes from the road for just 5 seconds, and you will kill that senior lady/friend of mine who just pulled out of a driveway in front of you......
    yes, this happened on November 1st, 2015.... the very first day that the Oklahoma DUI law (and distracted driving law) took effect.

Two seniors in the '70s killed by a distracted driver.... they weren't life flighted out, they were taken to the morgue.

The driver of the car that killed them was sentenced to Life In Prison by the Judge.

3. PierWithBeer

PierWithBeer Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2016
    Male
    Appreciate the reply, but not sure why I am getting a lecture here. I was deliberately asking if there were some hands free solution like Siri / Cortana so that I could audibly receive and reply to text messages. I do not text and drive currently nor do I condone it.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I think part of the problem is that your CRV's hands-free setup is taking too much control. I have a 2011 Mitsubishi and I have similar problems. Okay, maybe not problems, because it's not that big of a deal to me ... maybe issues. ;)

When I make a call through the car's system i have to say "call bob smith" and it then prompts me for "home, work, other" which i have to respond to each time. Even if there is only one number under the contact, it still asks me to confirm that I am calling bob smith at home. Can be a little irritating, especially when I can say to the phone "call bob smith at home" and it will just dial without asking me anything.

Same with texts. In my car, it doesn't recognize SMS messages or any other notifications beyond calls. When I'm not in my car I can tell the phone to send a text to bob smith and it opens up Hangouts (my default) and waits for voice input.

With a simple Bluetooth headset, I can have full functionality, but then I have to wear the stupid thing.

So, I don't think there's an app solution, I think it's your car.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Correct, each car manufacturer has different options for Bluetooth, and that is the issue. It's hit or miss really. You can use Google, and set it to be always on, and that may do the trick for you.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    What's the car system actually...something like this?

sync.jpg

If so, it probably works best and is most integrated with Windows Phone.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Sync is Ford, Mike

Not sure what they were using in 2013, but now Honda uses something called HandsFreeLink

Toyota uses Entune™
    Mitsubishi uses Fuse™

Some have companion apps for your phone, but mine doesn't. Not sure which is better.

mikedt likes this.
  8. eshieldsvx4

eshieldsvx4 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 16, 2014
    Male
    Some vehicles are actually blacklisted by Bluetooth devices because they displace priorities and take too much control.

Even with a non root device, you can view what vehicles your phone blacklists by going to /etc/Bluetooth (/data/lib/HW/Bluetooth) on some devices. It will list them by physical address. Sometimes a wildcard is used in this list which it blocks half the physical address. The first three sets of numbers/letters usually belong to one manufacturer.