1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Some questions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rbby228, Feb 8, 2011.

1. rbby228

rbby228 Member

I recently tried to root my phone with unrevoked but the only thing that it did was turn it to s off (missing backup cid error). So I used z4root permanent root option (which works on evo if the nand is unlocked). I used mybackup and titanium backup. Now I want to make a nandroid backup with rom manager. My question is I dont have clockwork recovery mod can I still make a nandroid backup? Second when I install clockwork recovery mod and make nandroid backup will it wipe my phone? third how can I make sure the nandroid backup, backs up my wimax keys. And fourth if I install clock work recovery mod on my phone through rom manager I still got to install it manually through h boot and recovery?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Thanks for the confirmation that z4root can be used after unrevoked gets at least s-off. Good to know that does what it's supposed to do.

1) There are three things you need to have full root, and make it useful.

a) A rooted ROM
    b) S-OFF (unlocked nand)
    c) A custom recovery

Unrevoked is supposed to do all three. You have all of the above except for a custom recovery. Without that, you can't flash ROMs, mods, or make backups (and several other things that actually make S-OFF useful). So, you cannot make a nandroid backup without first flashing Clockwork (or RA) recovery.

2) Strickly backing up will not touch internal memory what so ever. Absolutely nothing will be wiped by making a nandroid backup. Restoring that backup will wipe everything done since the backup by overwriting it with the contents of the backup. Make as many backups as you have room for, though, and don't worry about it modifying your system in any way. It won't.

3) Use Clockwork 2.6.0.1 or up or use any version of RA recovery. Clockwork will automatically do it, while RA will give you the option to back up the wimax partition.

4) Basically, there are multiples ways to flash to parts of the system. You cannot flash to the system partition while the system is running, which is why you need recovery. The recovery partition, however, is where recovery goes (duh), and can be flashed to from Android, hboot, etc. Once you've flashed recovery, you don't need to do it again (unless purposefully switching recovery versions). So, flash it from ROM manager, and you're done. If you want to flash it from hboot, you can use a PC36IMG.zip file, as well, but there's not need to do both unless ROM manager is giving you issues.

rbby228 likes this.
  3. rbby228

rbby228 Member

i just rebooted my phone to make sure z4root does stick after a reboot and it does, also to be clear if i use rom manager it will automatically install and flash clockwork recovery for me and i will lose no user info and then i can make a nand backup

4. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

When you open ROM manager, you will have an option at the top to flash recovery. Right now, it will say something about you not having a custom recovery. Just select the option to flash Clockwork. It will not touch anything outside the recovery partition where recovery goes. You will lose no user data at all. Same goes for when you make a backup. It's copying from the system, only, and writes only output files the sdcard. That's it.

rbby228 likes this.
  5. rbby228

rbby228 Member

thanks for your help, my very last question is when i click to install clockwork recovery it asks me if my phone is the evo, if i click that it will install the latest version of clockwork on it right?

6. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

It will flash whatever it said it was going to flash (it should say there somewhere). If I'm not mistaken, you will get 2.6.0.1. Depending on what it says, you might get 3.0.0.5. People have been using 2.6.0.1, lately, because it can flash everything. I won't go into detail here, as there are many threads discussing this, but basically, Google started using a different scripting language and method for recovery, and 2.6.0.1 supports both the old and the new, while 3.0.0.x supports only the newer one. Until all update scripts (for flashing mods and ROMs) have been updated, you should stick with 2.6.0.1. Should you need the PC36IMG.zip versions of recovery (due to any issues you may have with ROM manager) you can get them here:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/259446-clockwork-amon-ra-pc36img-files.html

7. Joehunni

Joehunni Android Expert

for the best results, you should flash Amon Ra recovery. In Rom Manager you can scroll to the bottom and select "flash alternate recovery" which will flash Amon Ra. I also reccommend manually making nandroids through the recovery menu instead of through Rom Manager.

8. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert

+1 for manually making nandroids

9. rbby228

rbby228 Member

just a update i manually installed clockwork mod version that akazabam reccommended and i also manually made a nandroid backup.

also is a nandroid backup is a rom that has all your apps and info backed up on?or would i have to flash the rom that matches the backup and then restore it?

10. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert

Basically, there are two kinds of backups you can make. A nandroid backup is a full backup, which backs up all partitions. By that, I mean it includes everything. When you restore a nandroid backup, it restores your phone to exactly the way it was when you made he backup. So, if you switched ROMs after making a backup, restoring the backup will take you back to whatever ROM you had when you made the backup. Along with that, all apps, data, etc. will be restored. Any changes you've made since the backup will be wiped out.

The second kind of backup is just apps, app data, and settings. You'd use something like titanium backup for that. That is used for switching from ROM to ROM, and is not a full backup, as it will not touch the ROM itself, or anything in /system other than system apps if you backed them up (not a great idea to restore that sort of stuff).

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews