• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some sites specify 2gb of ram?

shagzy

Lurker
Dec 4, 2011
TN
Just curious if anyone knows why many review sites for this phone specify the ram as 2gb instead of 1gb as advertised on boost's and LG's site. Is it possible the South Korean or international version of this phone was given 2gb and the North American version got nerfed with 1gb...? Not a deal breaker since Ive already got the phone since yesterday but dissapointing since I had my hopes up. Besides the ram misunderstanding, overall the phone is all I could have hoped for, coming from the zte warp.

Understandable since it's $100 less than the s3, minus 1gb of ram is the only difference. Not a serious loss but I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it, if it wasn't for the fact the phone is using 600+ mb's of ram and has no apps running besides the background services. This is normal I expect with stock bloatware in the background and v4.1.2 uses significantly more ram than v2.3.5? Looking at my zte warp(rooted) v2.3.5 its using 120mb with no apps running, only background services the phone needs to operate. Any one else having the F7 use 500-600+ mb's for just the OS services? I guess rooting and removing unwanted services would make a significant difference, haven't paid attention till now...

Upvote 0
Not sure why but I feel it's a big draw back. I was looking at the "cheaper" phones with 2gb of ram, and this was one of the few beating out the Nex 4, which of course is not avail on Boost.
There are plenty of diffs with the GS3, but the extra $100 hurts for sure.
The things I did like about the LG were the IPS screen, 2GB ram, dedicated camera button, and bigger battery.

Upvote 0
After some research into the excessive ram used on Jellybean issue, its apparently normal and supposedly a good thing. When more ram is being used, there are more commonly used services or apps that can be loaded faster in the future. Not such a big deal after all... In an attempt to try maxing out what ram was available(~200mb free), opening more apps than I'd ever want to use at once did not drop the remaining ram more than 60-100mb. It would still be nice to know why LG downgraded the US version of this phone to 1gb. Maybe our economy didn't meet the requirements to merit an equally spec'd phone as Korea's version.

Upvote 0
Just got an email back from LG, the decision was made by boost and us cellular to limit the RAM (common sense should have told me atleast that much)... What ever the reason may be it does make sense in the end, wouldn't be much of a fight between the s3 and the F7 if they were equally spec'd besides a .1in difference in display size. :)

Upvote 0
im thinking about switching from the warpto this phone how mucher better is it then the orginal warp

I can already tell you that its a very nice Upgrade from the warp but lets put them side by side and see how well each does. The ones in green are very nice upgrade from the warp. Which is pretty much everything lol, its light more memory and lot more features including LG's 3.0 UI.

Optimus F7
Screen: 720 x 1280 pixels, 4.7 inches 312 ppi pixel Corning Gorrilla Glass 2
Network: 2G, 3G, 4G LTE
Weighs: 4.69 oz
Memory: 8 Gigs, 4 gigs actually available for User
Ram: 1 Gig
Processor: Dual-core SnapDragon S4 clocked at 1.5 GHz
Battery: Li-Ion 2540 mAh battery Standby 300 hrs Talk Time: 13 hrs
Rear Camera: 8 Mega Pixels autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, Burst Mode ETC
Front Camera: 1.3 Mega pixels
Android Version: Currently Running 4.1.2 & is Expected to be update to 4.2 or 4.3 by spring 2014.

ZTE Warp
Screen: 480 x 800 pixels, 4.3 inches 217 ppi pixel density
Network: 2G, 3G
Weighs: 4.94 oz
Memory: 4 gig, 2 gigs actually available for User
Ram: 512 mb
Processor: Single Core Clocked at 1GHz
Battery: Li-Ion 1600 mAh battery Standby :225 hrs Talk time 5:hrs
Rear Camera: 5 Mega Pixels, LED flash, Geo-tagging
Front Camera: n/a
Android Version: 2.3.6 OTA support discontinued.

Upvote 0
very nice i wasent aware about the gorila glass on the f7 that helps alot. my warp is almost 2 years old and my daughter has pretty much destroyed it

she slobbered it causing lines running threw the screen shes buried at the beach shes thrown it dteped on it etc

plus iv worked alot of factorys with it in my pocket

my daughter will be 2 on the 19th so its about as old as her

Upvote 0
very nice i wasent aware about the gorila glass on the f7 that helps alot. my warp is almost 2 years old and my daughter has pretty much destroyed it

she slobbered it causing lines running threw the screen shes buried at the beach shes thrown it dteped on it etc

plus iv worked alot of factorys with it in my pocket

my daughter will be 2 on the 19th so its about as old as her

Well in that case you might wanna get a warranty with whatever new phone that you get ahaha. Hard to find a good one theses days without a high deductible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones