• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some songs won't play

I've been having this pretty annoying issue.

Bought my Motorola Moto G 3rd generation (2015) about two months ago and it worked really well, until I decided to add some new songs I already had in my PC. I usually download full albums and then add them to the SD card. The player is Google Play Music, and it started giving me the "Music playback error - Couldn't play the track you requested" message.

I have been searching everywhere for answers. Tried playing it in different apps, none of them work. Sometimes music plays for half a second and then, message. Tried cleaning data from apps, nothing. Music format is all mp3, what makes this more awkward, since the songs I first put still play ok. Yesterday, I tried downloading about 6 new albums and move it to the SD card. Three of them worked and are still playing nice. The other three, I don't know why, didn't work.

I wouldn't want to reset to factory version, since I think this might be a problem on the files. Please, any ideas would be a great help!

Hi Isabelle and Welcome to Android Forums,

Use this player,It is much better then Google and/or stock player:
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-android.html
BTW,It plays more file types,Like iso,flac...
And plays videos and movies too.
Thanks for trying to help, AMOCO.

VLC didn't even recognize the songs to its library. Looked for the files in "Directories" and tried to play them, same as always. Again, I don't think this is a file type error, since all of them are mp3. Maybe something with licenses...?

Upvote 0
Thanks for trying to help, AMOCO.

VLC didn't even recognize the songs to its library. Looked for the files in "Directories" and tried to play them, same as always. Again, I don't think this is a file type error, since all of them are mp3. Maybe something with licenses...?
MP3 decoding is fully enabled in most Android phones, including the Moto G, and no special license should be needed... Just about every player out there, including Play Music that is included with the device, can play all standard MP3 formats.

Do these play on a standard PC when connected via USB? Meaning, can you connect your phone to your or any computer and browse to the phone just double click the MP3 file and play it?

Reactions: Isabelle Mesquita
Upvote 0
Are you certain your micro-SD card is OK? A common symptom of a counterfeit or duff micro-SD is that MP3s won't play, and give errors in multiple players. Did you buy it recently? Because there's a lot of fakes out there, usually cheap from on-line vendors.

SD Insight is a useful app for this, to verify integrity.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi

Last edited:
Reactions: Isabelle Mesquita
Upvote 0
MP3 decoding is fully enabled in most Android phones, including the Moto G, and no special license should be needed... Just about every player out there, including Play Music that is included with the device, can play all standard MP3 formats.

Do these play on a standard PC when connected via USB? Meaning, can you connect your phone to your or any computer and browse to the phone just double click the MP3 file and play it?

Are you certain your micro-SD card is OK? A common symptom of a counterfeit or duff micro-SD is that MP3s won't play, and give errors in multiple players. Did you buy it recently? Because there's a lot of fakes out there, usually cheap from on-line vendors.

SD Insight is a useful app for this, to verify integrity.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi

That might be it. I've downloaded the app mikedt indicated and it says SD card is invalid. Also, tried playing the especific songs that give me the error message through PC in phone storage and they didn't play.

I'm gonna try to go buy a new SD card tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks, guys! :)

Reactions: acejavelin
Upvote 0
That might be it. I've downloaded the app mikedt indicated and it says SD card is invalid. Also, tried playing the especific songs that give me the error message through PC in phone storage and they didn't play.

I'm gonna try to go buy a new SD card tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks, guys! :)
Always buy SD cards from a reputable dealer... It might cost a little more, but you don't have to deal with issues like this. [emoji3]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones