1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Some useful info for those new rooted users.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dots, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
    I've been noticing alot of people still wanting to root there ally's and some information that was once common is now buried deep into the forums. So hopefully this will clear up some info.

1. You CANNOT flash a 2.2.x rom on an ally running 2.1.x just like you CANNOT flash a 2.1.x rom on an ally running 2.2.x

If you did the following your phone would boot loop between the lg/verizon screen and continue too until you reflashed back to the Android version you were on before flashing. This also has an effect on touchscreens for some reason. By that i mean some people that flash back to the Android version they were on before hand lost complete touchscreen control no matter what rom was flashed, even an lgnpst restore didnt get it working. Leading me to believe its radio related but i cant confirm it. So in the end. Please avoid doing this.

**I want to also note that this is Ally specific regarding flashing android versions. For exmaple I can flash any 2.2 rom or 2.3 rom on my inspire without any issues. In the end it'll depend your phone. I mainly posted this note for when you go to a new phone to look into it.**

2. Do not use Rom Manager to flash rom's. It's recommened that you use the AmonRA recovery for the ally. As clockworkmod recovery has issues with sd-ext partions and in all honestly hasn't been updated in a long time for the ally.

Here is the link to manually flash the latest AmonRA recovery: http://androidforums.com/getitnowmarketing/330813-all-one-recovery-thread.html

Anyone has any other useful hidden info that they think should be added let me know and i'll add it. Since i don't mess with the ally all of the above is from memory/helping people in the irc channel.

Advertisement

yohobojo, jmar, fullhouse233 and 3 others like this.
  2. j2cool2012

j2cool2012 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    Android Dev and Tech Consult
    In the computer
    Why aren't you a guide? You're so helpful to everyone!

yohobojo, jmar and fullhouse233 like this.
Tags: