1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Somebody PLEASE help me... On the verge of smashing my Sensation on the wall, need advice!! :( :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jadeywadey, May 24, 2011.

1. jadeywadey

jadeywadey Lurker

Ok so I have only had my Sensation for one day (my first ever android/smartphone) and I am seriously getting so upset and frustrated, I just cannot seem to figure out how to do any of the main features on it and the HTC website is just not helping!

1- My memory says I've used 4GB... I've only just turned it on today for the first time!!!!!!

2- 3G signal is terrible however my old phone was amazing and all i have done is switched sims...

3- Cannot figure out the app store, settings, etc...

Please somone be so patient with me and help :((

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

First off... Don't smash it ;)

1 - Android, Sense and all the stuff that comes with the phone may be taking up 4GB.

2 - Some phones have great antennas which means great signal, and other phones have poor antennas, meaning poor signal. Maybe the sensation doesn't have a very good antenna built in.

3 - By AppStore, you mean market right, you just have to log in with a Google account (Gmail account) and you can download what you like.

Hope this helps you :)

3. EmperorKabir

EmperorKabir Well-Known Member

are you new to android/smartphones?

you may want to explain each of your points in as much detail as possible so we can maybe help you out.

for now though, i can only offer you this much:

memory may be allocated for the operating system itself and core apps. you can't have a completely blank phone or nothing would be there to run when you turn the phone on!

in terms of 3g, try the following: settings: wireless and networks: mobile networks: netowrk mode: WCDMA only.

To explain: basically, GSM: = 2g only, wcdma = 3G only. and by default it is set on both. What this means is that your phone tries to work out what signal it can best use at any given time and switches to it. The theory is great, the practice is awful: calls cutting out, or constant switching etc etc. Granted, wcdma means it drains more battery but I have mine permanently on WCDMA and never have to worry about signal or slow data. I know battery life is crap on smartphones so who cares about it being on 20% when i charge it vs 25% at night.

for settings in general, go to settings and go through each thing one by one, read all the options then maybe go through it again. it might be time consuming but you learn a lot about the phone this way. also consult youtube for newbie android/htc sense guides.

4. jadeywadey

jadeywadey Lurker

Hi and thanks very much for the replies.

Yes this is my first ever android and smartphone, however I do work for a phone shop so my knowledge really should be much better, but unfortunately i don't get trained up on how to use Android, only on how to sell the phones :-/

When I select wcdma only, the signal becomes horrendous and gives me 1-2 bars hence I have been forced into having it on the auto mode which selects both, so it is constantly switching from G to H on the top status bar and giving me slow internet and bad reception which is a mystery because I have always had amazing signal with this netqork and everyhwhere also.

It will not let me use htc sync, it links up and finds the device eventually but it says i have nothing to sync, wont even do my contacts etc...

Also on facebook if i want to save a photo to my phone memory to use it as my wallpaper, it will not let me crop it it just blows the pic up??

And another one, how do i know what things i can delete off the sc card that were already on it in order to free up the 3gb it has taken off me even though all i have downloaded so far is the ebay app :(
    There are loads of pre-installed apps that I don't understand either and how do i figure out if it will charge me to open them? (don't have a wireless router at home)

5. jadeywadey

jadeywadey Lurker

Hey and thanks very much! Oh dear I am so close to sending it back :(
    I know i just need to persevere with it but here just seems soooo much to learn and i really need somone to like help me through every feature on it ha!! Can I erase things that have come preinstalled on the sd card because otherwise my 8gb of sd storage and 1gb of internal is going to be gone in less than a blooming week by the look of it :(

Also re. apps.... You know u r constantly signed into things like facebook and hotmail, well is this constantly using my data usage even when it is idle in the background when I am not on it?

Sorry fpr sounding so thick there are so many questions i need to ask :eek:

6. jadeywadey

jadeywadey Lurker

Also is this thread only visible to ppl viewing the Sensation forum, or can viewers of other forums see it also? If so, which ones? Thanks:thinking:

7. EmperorKabir

anyone in the world can see this forum. you don't even have to be logged in to view it.

When you say 1 to 2 bars on forced wcdma, does that actually make your internet speeds etc worse? In my experience, though I may not have absolute full reception, even 1 or 2 bars is enough for speedy browsing etc. Basically, the difference between 1 bar and full bars is minimal... it's if you can't get any reception at all when it matters. So try again with forced wcdma and see how your performance is and if you can maintain at least a weak 3g signal.

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. EmperorKabir

for htc sync, go to settings, accounts and sync, turn background data and auto sycn on (depending on what you want; you will see brief descriptions there).

below that, you will see the current accounts that sync. (such as facbeook, gmail and flickr), and you can add more.

pressing on each one, you can see settings for each account, usualyl something to do with what to sync specifically and how to sync it.

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. EmperorKabir

woops sorry, did you mean syncing with the computer? if so, i'll be honest and say i don't use it that much.

i personally have signed my life away to google, so all my google contacts mirror all my gmail contacts (on computer or wherever). also if for example i edit my google calendar on my phone, the changes will also be visible on the computer and vice versa.

when i go to the people app (phonebook basically), i have it set to view my google contacts) which then display all my gmail contacts.... so for this reason, i don't really sync anything between computer and phone. occasionally i put it in disk drive mode to lift photos off the phone and onto the computer.

10. EmperorKabir

as for facebook, i would advise going on facebook via the browser, (you might want to download dolphin browser HD; i personally think it's a better android internet browser), and logging onto facebook directly there. then find the photo and long press it and download (or you may even have the option on facebook to download the photo). then back on your home screen, press menu, wallpapers, gallery, find the photo and you get a sort of pinch to crop style thing there to crop the saved photo.

11. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Welcome to the forums!

Posts are visible to all forum members and guests alike. Not to worry.

If you are concerned about an HTC using data when you don't want it to, no need to puzzle out the apps.

If your phone is like those in the US, you can do as follows:

find a blank spot on one of your homescreens (you have several homescreens, swipe left or right to switch) - long press - choose Shortcuts - choose Widgets

Check to see if you have an Android Widget called Power Control - that ought allow you to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync-data-by-hand, and screen brightness

That one is as wide as your screen, so you'll need a whole row free.

Check in that same path for Widgets for Settings - in there, you'll find another trove of goodies, one of which may be Mobile Network - that's a 3G radio on/off switch.

If things there are at all like things in the US, you can turn that on/off at will to control data when you want - and you'll still get sms.

Phone calls you'll always get unless you turn on airplane mode.

Hope that helps.

12. jadeywadey

jadeywadey Lurker

Ok i'm downloading that app as we speak, however I have no idea how to use it or exactly what it will do ha! SO does that mean that I will have differnet options for saving pics from fb using this browser than what I do on the preloaded fb app? I;m not using fb for htc sense as this syncs up all my fb friends to my people app which i did't want... So when this has downloaded how exactly do i use it and what will it be replacing, the preset browser app?

Oh and I think i will take your advice for the google syncing thing but i have only just made a gmail account today purely because I had to for the android phone so I may need assistance on how to sync it all up via there too.. SOrrry :thinking:

13. EmperorKabir

yea it will take a while to get used to gmail. i advise just messing about with it on the computer. you don't learn the ways of google or android overnight, i can assure you of that, but it's worth learning.

dolphin, kinda like on a computer, is having an additional browser. it's like when you load up windows, it has internet explorer, but you may also have google chrome, or opera, or firefox on there too. dolphin is just my personaly favourite one made for android. i believe it has the best interface AND you can download mini add ons for it (search in market) such as translaters, switching between mobile websites and desktop websites button etc etc.

it may be worth downloading the desktop toggle add on for dolphin.

so when you go to facebook on dolphin, go to the far right until the buttons appear and switch to desktop mode. then facebook will load just like you are looking at it on your computer. admittedly it's a bit too zoomed in as you are only on a phone, but it's good for what you are trying to do here. find the photo, and download it.

note: mess around with dolphin HD before jumping straight into the facebook thing. again, just like any app, you need to mess around with it a bit yourself efore you understand what is going on.

14. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

Regarding your 3G issues which seems like a key one especially if you don't have Wifi.

As someone said already phones do vary but the sensation should not be significantly worse than what you had before. You said that "all i have done is switched sims" so do you mean you have taken your old sim from your old phone and put it in this one or do you mean you have switched to a new sim? new network or same network?

If this is a new SIM I would try it in your old phone and see if it works OK in there. If not it may be a faulty SIM. request a replacement. If the same SIM works OK in your old phone but is very poor in the new one then either the Sensation is indeed a poor 3G phone or perhaps you have a faulty handset. if it is definitely worse than other handsets with the same network then you may need to send it back for a replacement. If you are using your old SIM it never hurts to request a shiny new one.

Sometimes the bars can be misleading. Xtremelabs Speedtest is a free app in the Market that will show you what speeds you are actually getting. If you use it and post your results people will be able to tell you how bad it is

Since you work for a phone shop any chance you can get another Sensation to compare yours to?

15. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

The best way to sync contacts varies dependant on whether it is from webmail , outlook, a nokia phone, SE phone etc. HTC sync is often not the best or easiest way. Often the best way is to sync the contacts to gmail on your PC at which point they will magically appear on your phone. If you post what you are trying to sync from where someone will know the best way to do it. There Sensation will not be different to other HTC androids in this respect so whatever it is someone here will have done it before.

HTC Sensation 4G Forum

The HTC Sensation 4G release date was 8th June. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1520mAh battery.

8th June
Release Date
Reviews