• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Somebody Robbed me =[

So I was robbed at gunpoint by three guys and they stole my Evo...:mad: I almost cried while being robbed:(. But I'm fortunate enough to be alive. All I wanna know is do I have to pay for anything:thinking:? Because I had already got the phone turned off, filling a claim in the morning and already told the police so..yea. I didn't even have the phone for more than 30 days so does that count?

Please answer me guys :)

Glad you're ok. This happened to me with a regular cellphone a few years ago. This is one reason I will always get insurance, and one reason in I will never wear my earphones going home from work, probably going to work too. (I take public transportation) I would say in certain areas, but the wild thing is I got robbed in a supposed to be better environment than where I live now. Now I live in whats known as "Tha Hood"...lol (I lived here before for about 7 years, left for a better environment for about a year, then came back to help my family out. NEVER got robbed in those 7 years in the hood...aint that something....)

I heard of ppl having their phone's stolen and using an app like Mobile Defense to get their phone back, with police assistance of course. (dont get an app like this and try to be Dirty Harry) Not sure how it works for retrieving a phone, but I will be looking into apps like this real soon...

EDIT: I see for Mobile Defense u can install it in a way that it wakes GPS and can prevent ppl from trying to uninstall it.

Hopefully thats not old news. I may get this.

Upvote 0
This is why I carry this in my pocket. (Illegally, but in chicago on the trains, I really don't give a rats ass about the law when my life may be on the line)

Walther_PPK_1664.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't understand how or why anyone would rob a CDMA phone. The EMEI/ESN is now blacklisted and not very useable. It isn't like a GSM phone where you can sell it overseas. Robbers are really stupid considering these things can be tracked via GPS as well.

It's a lot harder but the phones can always be flashed to other carriers a la Metro PCS. Also, even though it's illegal, thieves could find a way to change the ESN. I still think it's ignorant because the amount of work involved would probably not be worth what they could get for the phone. If people only put as much effort into doing actual honest work as they do into ripping people off the world would be a much better place.

Reactions: Theodosius
Upvote 0
I will get a gun when I turn 21....
Think it through....
Do you really think carrying a gun will keep you from being robbed again?
Are you going to have a gun with you 24/7?
If someone pulls a gun on you, do you think you will be able to get that gun out of your pocket to defend yourself before they squeeze off a couple of rounds into your torso?
Do you really think you will be invincible if you have a gun in your pocket?
Look back at what just happened to you; you're getting a replacement phone and the deductible has been waived. Is it worth risking your life to stop another robbery?
What you did was the best thing you could have done when you got robbed. You gave it up and came out unscathed, except for the damage to your ego.
Don't let your ego get in the way of thinking clearly about what to do the next time.

Upvote 0
I live in Hawaii so I can't CCW but within my home, I am armed to the teeth and would not hesitate to protect myself and family from common criminals that would unwittingly break into my home while I am home. Let others be victimized, I choose not to be. BTW, I'm experience in using firearms (+20 years experience) in both tactical and self defense. Outside my home, I make sure I avoid trouble and not get into situations or go places that spells trouble.

Upvote 0
Think it through....
Do you really think carrying a gun will keep you from being robbed again?
Are you going to have a gun with you 24/7?
If someone pulls a gun on you, do you think you will be able to get that gun out of your pocket to defend yourself before they squeeze off a couple of rounds into your torso?
Do you really think you will be invincible if you have a gun in your pocket?
Look back at what just happened to you; you're getting a replacement phone and the deductible has been waived. Is it worth risking your life to stop another robbery?
What you did was the best thing you could have done when you got robbed. You gave it up and came out unscathed, except for the damage to your ego.
Don't let your ego get in the way of thinking clearly about what to do the next time.

This is precisely it. I don't care if people have or want guns, it makes absolutely no difference to me. But if you're being robbed at gunpoint (knife point or some other form of robbery....fist...blunt? Robbed at fistblunt? Either way, different cases.), you're unlikely to be able to get your own piece out and take someone out before you're on the ground. Even then, you can't chase someone down and put some rounds into their back, because then you'll likely be tried and convicted of murder.

I can see a gun coming in handy in some instances, but when someone already has a weapon trained on you, it's unlikely that your gun is going to do anything more than get you dead.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying and trying to pull my own gun out while somebody is already pointing one at me WOULD be ******ed. BUT if they have a knife, or are using their fist...then we're fighting. I've been doing Martial Arts my whole life. Muay Thai & Judo since I was 11 (I'm 19 now) and Recently started BJJ & Wrestling so unless they have a gun then we're fighting because I know how to disarm someone with a knife and if they are using their fist and nothing else then I'm gonna break something, Arm, Wrist something as punishment for trying to rob me.

Upvote 0
I understand what you're saying and trying to pull my own gun out while somebody is already pointing one at me WOULD be ******ed. BUT if they have a knife, or are using their fist...then we're fighting. I've been doing Martial Arts my whole life. Muay Thai & Judo since I was 11 (I'm 19 now) and Recently started BJJ & Wrestling so unless they have a gun then we're fighting because I know how to disarm someone with a knife and if they are using their fist and nothing else then I'm gonna break something, Arm, Wrist something as punishment for trying to rob me.

I'm not trying to insult you, I'm sure you're very good but are you really that confident you could disarm them before they stab you? Even if it's only a 5% chance they do It's not worth it. Just give them the phone and claim insurance.

Edit: incidentally I just looked up mobile defender, that's a pretty nifty app, not just for theft I'm always leaving my phone on silent somewhere in my room and not being able to find it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones