• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Someone , HELP. Is there a key logger on my phone?

I recently was using my boyfriend's computer. When I saw the search for a "free cell phone keylogger," is there a way to actually see if he has placed on on my phone?
Would an anti virus software help detect it?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2
I'm new to all of this stuff , so please help.

:(

OP: if you're not rooted, you should be able to go into your settings and view all all your applications that are on your device. You can view what permissions each one has, and delete any that you don't trust. You can also check out the "running services" to see what's running in the background. Also, if you want to be on the safe side, you can delete all 3rd party keyboards from your phone and just use those that came with it.

Reactions: lovexXxBroken
Upvote 0
Oh yes... The "get a new boyfriend."
Lol.

& When you're running a key logger , is it actually reading from the phone its self , or the sim card? Essentially what I'm asking is if I purchase a new sim card , can he only view what's been typed from it?

1 more, I know when the phone is rooted , you can go into certain files and look at deleted text messages. Any one know exactly how?

Upvote 0
Oh yes... The "get a new boyfriend."
Lol.

& When you're running a key logger , is it actually reading from the phone its self , or the sim card? Essentially what I'm asking is if I purchase a new sim card , can he only view what's been typed from it?

1 more, I know when the phone is rooted , you can go into certain files and look at deleted text messages. Any one know exactly how?

#1. Usually the phone's memory, as to prevent taking the SD card (not SIM card) out of your phone. SIM cards control the phone's connection to the network, SD cards are memory storage cards.

2. If the messages are deleted, I do not believe that they will be logged anywhere on the phone, rooted or not.

Upvote 0
Oops ,that is what I meant..

But , I don't know . He said when I had my phone rooted that there was a way he could read what I had deleted because it was rooted.

So , as far as I know ... I'm safe because I got a new phone for Christmas anyway. & I haven't done anything he would disapprove of. Well , at least I don't think. I was just wondering if changing my SD card would help any too.

Upvote 0
Ordinarily he would need access to your phone. But there are many ways to get around this. For example; a keylogger can be installed when you open a file attached to an e-mail. You would never know it was installing itself in the background.

Even if he didn't install a key logger on your phone he can still track your phone. All he needs is your phone number.

Today

Reactions: lovexXxBroken
Upvote 0
So , as far as I know ... I'm safe because I got a new phone for Christmas anyway. & I haven't done anything he would disapprove of. Well , at least I don't think.

OP, you don't know me from Adam, but hearing a female talk like this scares and saddens me. This is your life, so feel free to ignore this piece of advice that you didn't ask for: if that comment that I quoted is an honest reflection of your relationship, PLEASE GET OUT OF THE RELATIONSHIP. No one has the right to control you on that level. If he feels like he needs to, he's bad news for you. If the control includes violence, get help. If I'm completely misinterpreting your words, forgive me for any embarrassment I have caused you.

Upvote 0
Ordinarily he would need access to your phone. But there are many ways to get around this. For example; a keylogger can be installed when you open a file attached to an e-mail. You would never know it was installing itself in the background.

Even if he didn't install a key logger on your phone he can still track your phone. All he needs is your phone number.

Today

Reactions: AngelArs
Upvote 0
OP, you don't know me from Adam, but hearing a female talk like this scares and saddens me. This is your life, so feel free to ignore this piece of advice that you didn't ask for: if that comment that I quoted is an honest reflection of your relationship, PLEASE GET OUT OF THE RELATIONSHIP. No one has the right to control you on that level. If he feels like he needs to, he's bad news for you. If the control includes violence, get help. If I'm completely misinterpreting your words, forgive me for any embarrassment I have caused you.

It's alright , it's alright.
General concern , from people I don't even know?
Really gives me hope , and it means a lot .
:)
It's been a long time we've been together . Going on 5 years now , without going in to a lot of detail , let's just say I've done a lot to get us to the point where it has to be this way. I'm not saying by any means that it is right for him to be doing this without my knowledge if he has , just that I can understand where he's coming from by doing it. Ya know ?

Upvote 0
He's not all that bright if he's doing the research from your phone.

But, if you're not rooted, just make sure you're using the stock keyboard, or one of the more popular (and trusted) 3rd party keyboards (SwiftKey, Swipe, et cetera). Otherwise there's no real concern about keylogging from a user installable app.

Outside of some very aggressive malware that could possibly have rooted your phone without your knowledge, Android prevents modules from logging data from other modules, or showing up as invisible in the application list. So you could search your application list (Settings > Applications > Manage Applications) for anything you haven't installed. You can even download an app from the market called Root Checker to see if your phone is rooted without your knowledge. Also, set up a screen lock. Settings > Security. It's more annoying, but will keep your BF from installing keyloggers on your device.

Upvote 0

Today

Upvote 0
Qualifiers are almost man's best friend... or something :)

fify :D

Also AngelArs, if it says Do not disclose, posting on the internet qualifies as disclosure. If you have information that law enforcement has, then you know that the internet is certainly not anonymous and it can be tracked back to you :)

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
if it says Do not disclose, posting on the internet qualifies as disclosure.

Yep. That's why I specifically said that I would send it to him (i.e. via PM) ;)

then you know that the internet is certainly not anonymous
The internet is not anonymous? :eek: :eek: :eek: I thought these conversations were all private like... So you're saying that other people can read this? Dang, well that explains a lot of things :D

Upvote 0
It's ok, you should just hang on to it. Better safe than sorry. Especially if you work in some type of law enforcement. No need to jeopardize your job.

In general also, I'm not super concerned about the kind of tech law enforcement has with the co-operation of the carrier. This kinda stuff is a bit above and beyond the scope of security I like to research.

Looking at CarrierIQ is probably the closest I come to that kind of stuff.

I know it's also true one can spoof GSM towers and other such serious black hat type stuff, but mostly I try to look at things in context. If this girl's boyfriend was searching for "how-tos" on keyloggers, then I doubt he's at the level of the serious blackhat stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones