• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Someone needs to make a high end 4" phone

Proves nothing really about how many people prefer what. That's not a survey of preferences, only quotes sales figures. If it proves anything, it's that as of 7 months ago (not that long) only 24% were units 4" or more. So 76% of sales were still units less than 4". Which kinda doesn't make your point. And that's counting 4" phones in the large group!

You are missing the point. The point was that the bigger phones were catching on at a rapid rate while sales of smaller phones were declining. As I said, with way more 4+inch phones on the market now, you can bet its even higher. It's obvious not to many people want smaller phones. As resolution gets better and higher, screen sizes will get bigger, not smaller. No one wants a 1280x720 resolution on a tiny screen, it defeats the purpose. If there were a high demand for smaller screens, someone would be making them but you don't see that do you?

Upvote 0
I think a vast majority of you missed tge ops point in that its the PHYSICAL size of the phones associated with all these 4.5" displays that sucks. I certainly do not like using my inspire the same way I like using my iPhone. It's just way big. I personally think that 3.7 is my sweetspot for big vs nice screen vs easy to hold vs fits in pocket.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
I think a vast majority of you missed tge ops point in that its the PHYSICAL size of the phones associated with all these 4.5" displays that sucks. I certainly do not like using my inspire the same way I like using my iPhone. It's just way big. I personally think that 3.7 is my sweetspot for big vs nice screen vs easy to hold vs fits in pocket.

I was using the Evo 4G than the Evo 3D, both with 4.3 inch screens. Played with the iPhone 4S and that 3.5 inch display felt absolutely tiny. I had to zoom in on anything I tried to read and typing on it sucked big time, especially without Swype. Now I have the Galaxy S2 with the 4.5 inch screen and I find it perfect for MY needs. I would never even consider watching a movie or TV show on a screen as small as 3.5 or 3.7 but they look awesome on the S2 and its even lighter and thinner than the iPhone 4S so carrying it is no problem.

Upvote 0

I think you are also missing the point that with the buttonless ICS, a 4inch screen will be able to fit in a phone with a physical size comparable to 3.7inch phones today because the space formerly reserved for the physical buttons may now be given to more screen estate. However the specs would be misleading because while yes the physical size of the screen is 4inches, the ever present on screen buttons (as based on the many screenshots of ICS in the links I posted) would actually reduce the useable screen estate of a 4inch screen to something comparable to a 3.7incher.

Upvote 0
One of the major advantages to Android is that manufacturers can make any size phone they want. Where are all the high end 4" phones and I don't mean pentile matrix phones like the Atrix. I really like using one hand to operate my phone and there is no way I will be able to on a Galaxy Nexus.

How about someone making the android version of this iPhone 5 fake concept
iphone-5-concept-teardrop.jpg

The NEW Phone/Tablet! and not bad specs!

Ask and YE Shall Receive!!!

Samsung Galaxy Note Official Video - YouTube

......So Let It Be Written.......
tut1.jpg

Upvote 0
I think you are also missing the point that with the buttonless ICS, a 4inch screen will be able to fit in a phone with a physical size comparable to 3.7inch phones today because the space formerly reserved for the physical buttons may now be given to more screen estate. However the specs would be misleading because while yes the physical size of the screen is 4inches, the ever present on screen buttons (as based on the many screenshots of ICS in the links I posted) would actually reduce the useable screen estate of a 4inch screen to something comparable to a 3.7incher.

er no.......i get that perfectly fine and that is not the one I am speaking against. I am speaking against the fact that many people seem to think that screen size is the only thing that matters. Even though the OP framed his post using "screen size" it seems like what he really wants (and me too) is flagship (or at least high-end) devices that are more comfortable to hold. The actual screen size is not the operative variable but rather the physical dimensions that are necessitated by 4.3+ screens. I mean the Galaxy Nexus is just ungainly imo (from the pictures that is).

And honestly, im staying out of the whole ICS thing because I still dont know if the devices will be marketed using the actual screen size or the usable screen size.

In short, I dont care that much about the viewing area as I do about the actual amount of phone that my hand has to hold.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones