• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Someone PLEASE help...Updater issues

Im using Windows XP and ive tried a couple different walk throughs. My phone will not be recognized by the computer/updater! When I plug it into my mac its fine. It will recognize it! Not updater of course on my mac.... When i run the program to root etc on my PC, it tries to find it, then nothing. So i tried using paralells on my mac with windows XP and still nothing. I ended up taking my phone to sprint because of all the issues. They reloaded the software and did a "hard reset". (geee thanks) So i figured maybe now it would work and again when i put the phone into download mode it WILL not be recognized by the computer. All it says is the device malfuntioned etc.... Im frustrated! Im running....
Firmware 2.1-update 1
Kernel Version 2.6.29
Build Eclair.DJ07

Don't plug your phone into the Mac.

Think of it like this.
If you plug a USB thumb drive into a Mac, it will format it to work with Mac, then to plug it back into a PC, the PC won't recognize it and it will want to re-format it again.
I've only ever heard of people getting all kinds of problems trying to root their phone on their mac.
it is possible, but you'll have to figure out how to work around the little differences.

my advise, get your hands on a PC and follow the process on the SDX forum about rooting on Dj07.
If they don't say to plug the phone in, then don't plug it in.
That write up is pretty good.
the downloads and figuring out what exactly they mean takes the longest.
took me a hour start to finish.
Use the downloads they provide, get root, and then go from there if you want to install new kernals and/or ROMs.

Upvote 0
I think the problem is that you aren't deleting the samsung drivers.

Go to start - control panel - add remove programs then scroll down and remove samsung usb driver. Restart computer and you are good to go. Don't plug phone in after restart and before it tells you to on the program.
You could also try a program called USBDeview. Run it and use it to uninstall anything Samsung.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip. I ended up doing it on my netbook after trying on two other computers. It worked! Go figure.
Good to hear. I hate using USB cables because either the cables or sometimes the USB port can be flaky. I only use USB cables when flashing ROMs.

For day to day data transfer, I use an app called "SwiFTP" to transfer files via wifi.

Good to hear you got it working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones