1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Someone please help

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by darkangel464, Aug 29, 2017.

1. darkangel464

darkangel464 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    okay I have a ZTE phone and I have Netflix installed and watch regularly. but I would like to play it on my television so I purchased a USB MHL HDMI converter but it didn't seem to work. I even tried the USB drive. If it helps the TV is an Insignia Roku . someone please help, what am I doing wrong here?

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    You shouldn't have to rely on any kind of USB connectivity with an Insignia Roku TV. As long as both your TV and your phone are connected to your home network, you just need to install the Roku app from the Play Store onto your phone to do any settings adjustments. The Netflix app on your phone should be able to detect and work with your TV over your WiFi network.

tube517, Mikestony and Dannydet like this.
  3. darkangel464

darkangel464 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    Unfortunately I have no in home WiFi as where I live there is only one provider of internet and they were charging 146$a month for service -.- perhaps the device I had purchased was not good, come to think of it, I did get it for a much lower price then most I have seen.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    You don't need an ISP to have a WiFi network. All you need is a router and an access point ....most people usually refer to these simply as the router, since most consumer routers have built in WiFi access points.

svim, Mikestony and Dannydet like this.
  5. darkangel464

darkangel464 Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2017
    A fellow at my local best buy recommend that I get an Alotm universal MHL kit micro USB-HDMI adapter converter. Said that should work but I have yet to purchase one because #1 let's be honest I'm technology impaired lol and #2 I don't want to buy another product and waste time and money if it isn't going to work either.

6. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Try using this OTG? app to determine if your phone even has OTG-USB support:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.btssm.doihaveotg&hl=en
    If not, your phone's USB port won't be able to use external USB adapters and such so WiFi connectivity would be your last resort. If you buy a wireless router you can set up an isolated home network that's made up of just your computer, your phone, and your TV. Of course if you later want to include online streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime TV, Youtube, etc.) than yes, you'd then need to add in an ISP service but if you're just going to share content between your local, in-home devices that's all you'll need.

bonsaibarrie likes this.