• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Something big on the way!! update: R2D2 available via TBH

Not that I don't believe you, I just don't want to get my hopes up about the bootloader. I don't remember Birdman saying anything about being able to roll back the bootloader. The message that I've been reading has been warning people not to install the OTA because Moto changed the keys, which effectively puts the kibosh on us from truely hacking the phone.

This isnt true. For now there isnt a full sbf out there but thats all thats known for sure that is limited. The fact that they changed the keys could actually open things up even more because if someone can figure it out they essentially showed how to change the keys. It could be possible to change the keys with rom installs going forward. We dont know if this has any effect on the supposed bootloader unlock or not.

I am pretty sure you can still roll the bootloader back but that doesnt change the keys and I am not sure if it causes problems with when that is done. I know a few of the people who bricked their phones with the 2.1 sbf after the OTA tried taking the bootloader back to 27.01 which worked (well it seemed to have worked ie: it displayed 27.01 at the bootloader screen) but they still couldnt flash the 2.1 sbf.

Reactions: andross77
Upvote 0
Not that I don't believe you, I just don't want to get my hopes up about the bootloader. I don't remember Birdman saying anything about being able to roll back the bootloader. The message that I've been reading has been warning people not to install the OTA because Moto changed the keys, which effectively puts the kibosh on us from truely hacking the phone.

Here are birdmans tweets

1. Note tho, you can only downgrade if your not bricked already. 5:43 PM Sep 22nd via MOTOBLUR

2. 2.2 can be downgraded to 2.1. Details soon. Don't worry about it. 5:42 PM Sep 22nd via MOTOBLUR

Reactions: vanilla_android_fan
Upvote 0
Just to be sure, can Froyo R2D2 be installed without changing anything (I'm on 2.2 rooted, deodexed, themed, bloat removed including backup assistant, and modified build.prop)?

Looking forward to a couple people checking it out, but I really want to update to something today (either this or OTA). My phone is working great right now, I just have that itch :)

Upvote 0
The Star Wars Theme installed fine. The only thing I notice is a Rebel and Imperial symbol on the sliders and a binocular app. Kinda lame if you ask me. I am a HUGE Star Wars guy, but I really expected more from this. I am glad I didn't buy the r2d2 Droid 2.

System says 2.3.15

You guys want me to check anything else?

How big was your file? Mine is 117 mg I thought it would be 160+

Upvote 0
Just to be sure, can Froyo R2D2 be installed without changing anything (I'm on 2.2 rooted, deodexed, themed, bloat removed including backup assistant, and modified build.prop)?

Looking forward to a couple people checking it out, but I really want to update to something today (either this or OTA). My phone is working great right now, I just have that itch :)

SAY NO TO OTA! Break away! Be a rebel and do the r2d2 theme :cool:

Upvote 0
The Star Wars Theme installed fine. The only thing I notice is a Rebel and Imperial symbol on the sliders and a binocular app. Kinda lame if you ask me. I am a HUGE Star Wars guy, but I really expected more from this. I am glad I didn't buy the r2d2 Droid 2.

System says 2.3.15

You guys want me to check anything else?

Im assuming (I know, its a dangerous thing to do sometimes) you were on the leaked 2.3.15 not the OTA right? I'm still trying to find out if the OTA can be deodexed

Upvote 0
Are a lot of ppl losing root when applying the Star Wars theme? That would be good to know before applying it? Thanks

I kept root. I already returned to a backup though. I am a star wars but this is a little ridiculous. Not a slight against P3 cause I do appreciate him bringing all these leaks and I did buy the TBH app but this is something I probably would have enjoyed at 14 but not now.

Upvote 0
I kept root. I already returned to a backup though. I am a star wars but this is a little ridiculous. Not a slight against P3 cause I do appreciate him bringing all these leaks and I did buy the TBH app but this is something I probably would have enjoyed at 14 but not now.

I have a feeling that a lot of people will be disappointed to see that this "something big" is just the R2D2 theme. I just don't see why they want to over-hype things so much.

Upvote 0
I don't think anyone else here has tried and posted yet.

Update: there is an ugly R2D2 clock as well.

i did it. it has all the wallpapers, the lockscreen, the boot animation (which is pretty cool), the binoculars app, and the clock widget.

it's not for everyone, but i think it's a bit disrespectful for so many people to be knocking him for all the work he did to port that system dump over to the x. all of his twitter posts pointed toward this, so there shouldnt be too much disappointment.

Upvote 0
i did it. it has all the wallpapers, the lockscreen, the boot animation (which is pretty cool), the binoculars app, and the clock widget.

it's not for everyone, but i think it's a bit disrespectful for so many people to be knocking him for all the work he did to port that system dump over to the x. all of his twitter posts pointed toward this, so there shouldnt be too much disappointment.

Like I said I am not knocking P3Droid this just isnt for me.

I think thats what most people mean.

Reactions: anaphora68
Upvote 0

I agree that he definitely put hard work into this, it just seemed way overhyped for what it was (as far as we know, this should be it?)

Upvote 0
Guys,

Let's stop knocking P3Droid already. As a community, Droid Xers do a horrible job of supporting the devs. All I see is people saying "that's not a big enough deal," or "the devs aren't moving fast enough."

It is big news. Have any of you tried to actually theme something? It takes HOURS of hard work, dealing with little minutia, etc. I tried my hand at it and I just don't have the free time. If you don't like it, don't bash P3. To him, it's a big release, whether it is to you or not.

OMJ puts it best -if it's not for you, reflash to something else and move on. Don't publicly castigate P3. He's a member here. He'll see what you say, and worst case, he could just stop releasing leaks, or anything for the Droid X. I know that's not a big deal to some of you, but symbolically, we need every dev we can get for this device.

Upvote 0
I agree with what the previous posters have said, my title definitely overstates what came out. Not knocking anything that P3 has done up until now, I am extremely grateful for the leaks that he brought us, but what I consider to be "something big" would be a vanilla build, like what is hopefully coming from cvpcs.

I do want to say thank you to P3 for all the hard work he's put into the DX, I'm sure I can speak for a lot of you when I say we really appreciate what your doing and hope that you continue to bring us new & big things for our DX's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones