1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Something blocking social media websites

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Apexpredator12, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Apexpredator12

Well I was trying to block in app adds I tried several things. I realised today that something is blocking my connection through Facebook Reddit and other apps including going through browsers. I have tried through WiFi and data and both seem to be blocked. So I tried removing the apps I installed to block adds, tried deleting hosts file as well along with restarting my phone.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

You may need to do a factory reset and that should fix everything you've deleted that is now

3. today

today Android Expert

Try signing out of your browser then sign back in.

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If you managed to delete the hosts file, that must mean your Galaxy S6 is rooted? Possibly some other system files have been damaged or deleted by whatever else you did. In which case factory reset will NOT fix it, and you'll need to re-flash the original ROM.

#4 mikedt, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Dannydet likes this.
  5. Apexpredator12

Thanks for the reply I have a feeling that it's more that maybe it's going through as an insecure connection because Facebook messenger app works weirdly.
    Yes I'm rooted I had made a backup of the host file, deleting it made no difference so I out it back in its place. With it being caused by apps effecting the connection to try and stop adds like how on the filter files some addresses are blocked I'm guessing something for mixed up. But all apps I had previously installed have been removed, except the zip file that was flashed to instill unified hosts

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Think it's more than just the hosts file, and sounds like something to do with HTTPS SSL is damaged or missing, because things like FB do require a secure SSL connection, and other social media does as well. When you rooted did you make a titanium backup of the phone? Or you should be able to find the original S6 ROM and instructions here for re-flashing it..
    https://www.sammobile.com/

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Think it's more than just the hosts file, and sounds like something to do with HTTPS SSL is damaged or missing, because things like FB do require a secure SSL connection, and other social media does as well. When you rooted did you make a titanium backup of the phone? Or you should be able to find the original S6 ROM and instructions here for re-flashing it..
    https://www.sammobile.com/

8. Apexpredator12

I have had it rooted for years I have a backup of my data but it's an old backup so was hoping to try and fix it before I go for that

I have tried googling and trying to find a fix but all I find are links in how to block social media
    This is an error I get when trying to get on Reddit
    Net::err_connection_refused

#8 Apexpredator12, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  9. Apexpredator12

I managed to fix things thank god.
    I opened up the hosts file with turbo editor because all other apps would just freeze and there were tons of records to links which would of been added through one of the apps that I used so I removed the records and it worked

manorprimaryschool00 and mikedt like this.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S6 release date was April 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Exynos 7420 Octa processor, and 2550mAh battery.

April 2015
Release Date
Reviews