1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Something has changed in Android 12

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markdoc, Jan 8, 2022.

1. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I have my default SMS app set as Textra, in the app and in settings. I did have two other messaging apps from my old phone. I was getting text messages on all three apps even though I never set up the other two. I also have Instagram messanger but that seems ok. Is there some setting in Android 12 that lets the sender text open other than my default app?
    Sorry for all the questions, but I jumped from Android 10 to 12 and I'm getting baffled.
    Thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

I may be confused.

Is the following correct?

You have a new (12) phone with Textra as the default texting app.

You have apps from your old device that are also receiving the same texts, although the apps are not set up yet.

Yes?
    I have understood?

If so, I assume that you used some backup method to transfer apps and data to the new device?

That alone may have set up the other texting apps enough for them to pick up the texts.

And yes, when more than one texting app exists, they can all get the same texts, even if they are not the default app.

That way, if you decide to change defaults, your messages are not lost and there is no need to transfer anything.

I discovered this when bouncing back and forth between two third party and the stock messaging apps.
    I too thought that it was odd, but it worked, so I let it be.

What is your issue with this, are there notifications or something else from the apps that are not default?

markdoc and Dannydet like this.
  3. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

You got this right except for one thing. I got a set of text messages on an app that was never set up on either phone. I think it came with my previous LG V40 but I'm not sure. The strange thing is that the set of messages didn't show up on my default text app. I read & responded to them on the notification pop-ups. When I tapped on the the icons for the non-default apps, nothing showed except the set up instructions. When I checked my phone's setting, I found one that allowed my phone to use an app even if it wasn't installed on my phone. That was turned on. I turned it off, deleted one text app & disabled the other. So now, I only have my default text app & Instagram messenger working. But now I can't find that setting again that I turned off. I want to be sure it's off. I've never had a text message received by one app and not the other except IG Messenger. Do you know anything about the setting that allows my phone to use apps not installed? And it doesn't make sense that a text would come in but not show on my default app.
    I've tried looking these up but they are so convoluted that I get nothing helpful.
    Thanks for listening,

4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

This may not be relevant, but there's a default setting that allows a link (I know, not a message) to open a default app that's not actually installed. Perhaps your account is opening what you have used previously.

Google Play Instant

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7240211?hl=en-GB

Play Store app - Settings - General - Google Play Instants

5. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I think that's the setting I was talking about but I thought the setting was in the phone. I'll do some checking.
    Thanks for the help.:thumbsupdroid:
    I checked it out and that may have been it. I guess I'll see what happens. Thanks again.

Deleted User likes this.
  6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

Yeah, that Google Play Instant is some sneaky crap.

I trust NOTHING Google and this is definitely one that I rid any device of immediately.

Not only is there the setting that @Madd61 mentioned, there is an app as well- one that Google PlayStore will download automatically if PlayStore is not disabled entirely- each time the device gets a 'security update' (code for "Google wants to mess with your device").
    It is called Google Instant Apps.

I am not sure if it is prevented from downloading if you have autoupdate turned off, but it seems that even with this setting off the stupid thing would reappear at random (whenever Google messed with my device at 2AM) and disabling the PlayStore altogether was the bullet proof solution.

Deleted User likes this.

Google Pixel 6 Pro Forum

The Google Pixel 6 Pro release date is 28 October. Features and Specs include a 6.71" inch screen, 50MP camera, 12GB RAM, Google Tensor processor, and 5003mAh battery.

28 October
Release Date
Reviews