• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something interesting happened when moving from Eris to X

D

Deleted User

I dropped my Eris last week and shattered the screen and decided it was the perfect opportunity to upgrade. I purchased a Droid X off ebay that was 2 weeks old, not rooted, and many accessories.

My Eris WAS rooted and I had Root Explorer. When I setup the X, Root Explorer was installed on it, either through the Market, or Appbrain (can't remember). I was able to use Root Explorer to go in and remove an application, I just did one, Blockbuster.

I was under the impression that I could NOT do this on an unrooted phone. Does that sound right? If so, I'm curious on why it worked.

Thoughts?

-Eric

It should definitely not work on an unrooted phone. On unrooted phones, in theory there is no user write access to the /system partition (and Blockbuster should be stored on /system/app).

When you launched Root Explorer, I assume you didn't see the "...has been granted Superuser privileges" popup? Did you just navigate to /system/app, mount the system as R/W, and long press/delete the Blockbuster.apk file?

Definitely odd...

Upvote 0
When I started Root Explorer it did ask me if I wanted to grant SU permissions, I said 'Allow'. I also did exactly what you described, navigated to the system/app, mounted as r/w and deleted the apk.

In that case, your phone was rooted. The Superuser APK has to be installed and must have root access for that popup to work.

Interesting. Phone must have been rooted prior to shipping it to you.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I looked around and couldn't really tell if it was rooted, and there doesn't appear to be a custom rom installed, either. I emailed the seller (he bought directly from verizon) to see if he rooted, so we'll see what he says.

I was frequent on the droid eris forums, and am VERY happy to be over here.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. I looked around and couldn't really tell if it was rooted, and there doesn't appear to be a custom rom installed, either. I emailed the seller (he bought directly from verizon) to see if he rooted, so we'll see what he says.

I was frequent on the droid eris forums, and am VERY happy to be over here.

Hey! What's wrong with the Eris forums? :eek: :D :)

(I live in both worlds ;)).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones