1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support something is using too much data

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gale65, Aug 1, 2013.

1. gale65

gale65 Android Enthusiast

Normally I use anywhere from 45 to 65 mb per month. That's for a full month. After the update (which happened on wifi) I've used 133 mb of data in the last 6 days. It appears to be from Chrome. I have gps turned off, location services turned off, sync turned off, notifications turned off. What can be causing it? My habits have not changed at all. :thinking:

Advertisement

2. Steven58

Steven58 "The Incompetent Moderator!"

any new programs?

3. gale65

No-I haven't installed any new apps. I did try the power toggle but it wasn't what I was looking for so I uninstalled it. I only download and update apps via wifi. It looks like almost all of the data was from Chrome.

4. gale65

Here's a screen shot. I was mistaken about my data use on other months-it's more like 150 per month. The dates were off. Still, that's for an entire month and this 133 was used in 6 days.

Attached Files:

5. gale65

Here's a screen shot from June 18th to July 18th. Chrome only used about 104mb for the entire month.

Attached Files:

6. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

If its chrome its something you are doing online through the browser. Streaming audio or videos or even viewing lots of large picture files can do it. 100MB isn't that much. If you opened 25 high Res photos online you could hit that.

7. gale65

That's the mystery though. I didn't use it any more in those 6 days than I normally do. I never stream video or music and usually only use it to look at facebook or my email, not any image-heavy websites. My concern is the vast difference from the way it is normally.

8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Are you running chrome on your PC? Perhaps it's synching your bookmarks between the Chrome on your cell and the Chrome on your PC. It uses something called ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk (I have this on my phone, and I do not run Chrome).

No idea if it tries to sync when you don't have it installed on a PC, but you should be able to restrict background data for Chrome.

9. gale65

I do use Chrome on my pc. I'll check that setting. I know I was playing around with the bookmark settings on my phone recently when I was bored. Maybe I turned something on without realizing it. thanks!

Tags: