• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something like Pushbullet or MightyText?

I love Pushbullet. I hate that they went premium/monthly charge. I would pay a decent amount to buy it but won't pay a monthly fee. I just won't. I don't use it a ton but really like the convenience of using it on my laptop, 100 monthly texts doesn't get one very far though. I miss copy/paste too.

So. What else is out there that is similar? I see MightyText but that seems to be a SMS/MMS app with a Chrome extension, I want to still use Chomp (or Textra or Hangouts, not be tied to one I may not even like).

And, oh, I pretty much hate HO's and not everyone uses it so no, not that. Nothing like Skype where everyone has to have it. A stand alone thingy :)

Well. MightyText does have a limit as well. 500/month, Pro is $3.33/month. UGH.

I know I'm sounding cheap, but it's just not worth it for me in the end. I'll use up the 500 then switch to PB to get their 100. I feel I should clarify, I work from home and it's MUCH easier to use the laptop than the phone for texts!

I'll give Join a looky too. :)

Upvote 0
So to clarify, you're just seeking a way to send/receive texts on your computer? You don't need all of the other functions of Pushbullet?

Have you considered using Google Voice? I've never really looked too closely at apps like Mighty Text just because GV makes it so easy to text or call from my computer (or any device, really, whether it has a SIM or not).

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Well. MightyText does have a limit as well. 500/month, Pro is $3.33/month. UGH.

I feel I should clarify, I work from home and it's MUCH easier to use the laptop than the phone for texts!
Darn! I used to use mighty text but it was a little glitchy at times so I stopped last year, but they weren't putting limits on use at the time. I agree, it's so much easier to text on a real keyboard!

Upvote 0
Oh. I have and love GV. I do use it, but not for everyone so when I get texts from family/friends it's my phone number, not GV. Most of my family is phone challenged so they can't deal with 2 numbers. GV sucks at MMS (unless using HO's, which I hate) so they use my not GV.

Ah, the troubles of me. hahaha

Upvote 0
Oh. I have and love GV. I do use it, but not for everyone so when I get texts from family/friends it's my phone number, not GV. Most of my family is phone challenged so they can't deal with 2 numbers. GV sucks at MMS (unless using HO's, which I hate) so they use my not GV.

Ah, the troubles of me. hahaha
Now you're just being deliberately difficult. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones