1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Something to prevent phone from being set back to factory defaults in pocket

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by fridberg, Dec 6, 2014.

1. fridberg

fridberg Newbie

I have a Nexus 4 running Android 5.
    The mail client is setup towards my work mail, the workplace has setup some security settings, that require me to have a pin code on the phone.

Usally this is no problem, but a few times my phone has been "activated" in my pocket, and some random pin code has been submittet... the problem is, after 10 times, then phone goes back to factory defaults.

I do remember when using a phone with Windows 6.5, after a wrong pin has been submitted 3 times, it would require the user to type A1B2C3 to continue. That way, it was not really possible to get 10 wrong pins in the pocket.

Is there some app, some setting, or anything else that solve this for me ?

The only solution I'm aware of, is using the nitrodesk TouchDown mail client, as it would only require the pin when entering the mail client it self, and I therefor would have full control of the "normal" lock screen. But I really do like the gmail client, and would prefer to use it.

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Okay, first the bad news ... according to Microsoft:
    This means that there's probably not a lot you can do to override the 10 failed attempt reset policy your exchange server has set.

We can figure out what's turning on your lock screen. I'm guessing it's the lock screen notifications, but I wasn't able to get my N4 to light up the screen like the Ambient Screen on my N6. You could disable your lock screen notifications and see if that keeps it off. If you accidentally hit the power button ... not much we can do about that.

But, you can add another layer of failsafe by installing a replacement screen lock. I tried it and what would happen is you have to swipe the replacement and then you are still presented with the Google pin pad. If you accidentally wake up the phone in your pocket, you'd have to swipe two screens to get to the pin, which i think would make it next to impossible to get to the pin pad accidentally. Of course, if you do that every time you want to use your phone, you are unlocking it twice.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

I don't think there is a way to force the stock system to do this. However, I am personally more intriged as to how your phone keeps activating in your pocket. Do you have a case on your device that makes it easy to do this?

4. fridberg

fridberg Newbie

lunatic59 might very well be right about the lock screen notifications. However, as I normally use the notifications, I'm not really interested in disabling them, as the factory defaults problem is very far from a every day problem. The phone has been put back about 3-4 times in the last 2 years (naturally, it always happens as I really need some app info on the phone).

Regarding adding another replacement screen lock, I do not get the result you say. I have tried a couple of lock screens, currently I have Joy Locker installed. When I unlock the phone, I am first presented with the Google pin pad, after I have unlocked it, I'm presented with the Joy Locker.

When I do not have the work mail setup, I see that whenever I have tried the wrong pin for a couple of times, I'll get a timeout, where the pin pad will be disabled for about 30 seconds. Perhaps this could solve my problem, if I could get the timeout earlier. Is that possible ?