1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Something weird happened

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by dzilizi, Oct 4, 2014.

1. dzilizi

dzilizi Lurker

Hi,
    New poster, though I have come here for help based on Google searches. Only problem is, I can't get a response with my current problem using the search. I'm probably asking with incorrect wording.

Anyway. I have a txt file with my passwords, because there are so darned many of them. Most are in an abbreviated format, so that I will recognize them but others won't know what I'm talking about by reading them. I normally open it with OfficeSuite Pro. Yesterday, when I went to open it, I got a message saying the file was in use by another program. When I clicked on the go to the other program, Message opened up. I have not sent that file by message. I normally back it up to my computer by plugging the phone in or leaving it on my SD card. I actually did not realize it was on the main memory of the phone until my old SD card died. And the file was still there in the recent files.

Why would that file be opened with Messaging? Are there apps that can send my documents to someone else without my knowledge? I have a Samsung Note 3 running on an AT&T network running OS 4.4.2. I used Lookout security. I can't find a reason for this on Google. I'm very careful normally on what apps I download, though I have no control over the crap that came with the phone. I would love to get rid of a bunch of them. Most are turned off, if the option exists. The battery isn't lasting as long, but that could be that I'm using an after market one at the moment. I have a few that I change out. And my latest addiction to Gem Spinner II.

Thanks!
    Lizzie

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i wonder if somehow you set the default to open in your message app.....by try clearing your defaults for the messaging app.

dzilizi likes this.
  3. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Is the message program updated compared to your office suite? It could be that messaging was set to open txt files and it grabbed it. It looks like it listed itself as the default for text. I don't know how to change preferences, so someone else here might have an idea.

Did you ever share a txt document? If you did, whatever you used might still be acting like you want to share all txts.

I don't have a program that will deal with a txt file. I have to cut and paste frpm messaging to email if I want to stash it on a computer.

dzilizi likes this.
  4. dzilizi

dzilizi Lurker

LOL! It isn't a text file, it is like a doc file. A .txt file is a notepad file, if you are going by Windows programs. So normally only Office or Polaris would open it. Not Messaging. That is why it is so weird. The only reason it would be in use by messaging would be if someone was trying to send it, as far as I could tell.

I deleted a bunch of programs I don't use. Hopefully this won't happen again. I don't normally download programs that use messaging other than the ones you have no choice on, i.e. Internet programs, security programs, etc...

I just checked and there are no defaults set for txt files. It gives me the option of using Dolphin Brownser, OfficeSuite Pro and Polaris Office. So there was no reason Message should have been using the program.

Thanks!