• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sometimes can't make calls on Orange.

croyde

May 21, 2010
Lately I can be outside in Central London with 4 or more bars showing on my HTC Desire but can't make or receive any calls.

This happened in the Putney area last week and yesterday I was in Camden so I thought it must be a network problem until my mate with an Orange iPhone sat next to me and starting making calls with no problem.

Anyone else finding this?

The phone says its dialing on the display but seconds later it says call ended. I do try various different numbers just to check but get the same results.

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies.

I got through to Orange faults which is always dealt with by polite people in a far off country who never seem to understand thus fix the problem.

I was told to try manually dialing the number instead of using the phone book or to go into settings and switching the phone to GSM only when I have the problem again.

Great.

Upvote 0
"manually dialling the number instead of using the phone book.."

Got to to be the most useless thing to try that's ever come out of a CSR's mouth!

I was told to use 2G only (as my data seems to work consistently when on 2G) and if I want to use the internet switch it back to 3G. Brilliant.

I've had the failed sms / calls straight to answerphone issue and the 'select GSM only' option fixed the problem ... not really a solution for a phone like the desire.

Upvote 0
I've had the failed sms / calls straight to answerphone issue and the 'select GSM only' option fixed the problem ... not really a solution for a phone like the desire.

Yes, it does take the urine when the phone company are basically suggesting that to avoid problems and keep within their low data allowances you have to take a very smart phone and turn it into something resembling a late 90s Nokia.

Upvote 0
Yes, it does take the urine when the phone company are basically suggesting that to avoid problems and keep within their low data allowances you have to take a very smart phone and turn it into something resembling a late 90s Nokia.

I am also on orange but so far have experienced none of those problems, even when i had the orange rom on there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones