• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Somewhat new to Android.

I just picked up my first Android Tablets but I've been using Android via x86 installed on an 8GB USB Nub for over a year now. I needed it to use an OBD II Bluetooth adapter that I picked up to read codes and clear them on cars. I found that Piston worked pretty well at doing this but I got tired of having to boot to the Android x86 on the USB then because I moved to Dell laptops the touch pad wasn't working so I had to plug in a mouse, anyway, just got to be too much of a hassle so I figured it was time to break down and get an Android Tablet to use. I picked up a 7" and a 10.1" Insignia Flex and I have an 8" Insignia Flex on order, all from EBay. I got a pretty decent deal on all of them and I seem to be getting the hang of Android on a Tablet, especially since I've found the Dolphin Browser and X-plore file manager to use.
I guess I'm what you'd call a "Late Adopter" since I tend to get Tech stuff years after it's come out but hey, doing it that way I get some pretty good deals on stuff, LOL.
Anyway, just wanted to say "Howdy" and that I'll see ya'll on the forums.

Thanks for the Welcome. I've been using Linux for over 3 years now. Started with Ubuntu and got tired of Unity pretty fast so I moved to Mint MATE then Point Linux with the MATE desktop and on to Debian with both Gnome3 and MATE. I finally took the leap to Arch after running Manjaro MATE for a while which got me use to pacman and ran Arch with MATE for about 6 months and it worked great but now I'm on Ubuntu MATE simply because it's what I have on my wife's little Acer Aspire ZG5 and I want to be consistent between all of my laptops. I picked up the Flex 7" and 10.1" and I've had em' about a week and like them so much I impulse bought an 8" from EBay over the weekend. Hopefully it'll be here before the end of the week.
Dang cases for these tablets cost almost as much as the tablet did,LOL. Still, a person needs something to protect them when you take them along. Anyway, not sure if I'll hang onto the 7" or not, may sell it and just stick with the 8" and 10.1" or maybe I'll keep the 7" for a "beater" to just take along everywhere.
Sill don't have a "Smart" phone but who knows, once I use Android on these tablets for a while I may take the leap there too. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones