• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Song as Ringtone

Hello!

I'm having trouble setting a song as my ringtone. Not so simply, it's a single file I can't get my phone to recognize for ringtones. It'll recognize every other mp3 I put on it and show as an option when setting a ringtone, but not this ONE file. It even shows up in the Play Music app, but not as a ringtone.

I've tried changing the file until it exactly matched another file I'm able to set as a ringtone (length, bit rate, number of channels, audio sample rate, even the file name), thinking perhaps it was a formatting issue. No luck.

I've tried putting it in a variety of different directories to no avail, either.

I would love any help anyone could give me, it's really starting to bug me.

Thanks!

Welcome to Android Forums.

It needs to be placed in a directory that ends with a directory called "Ringtones". I use tlanet/ringtones.

On some phones after installing the ringtone you need to reboot (power off/power on). It searches for ringtone directories when initializing and populates the list.

... Thom

I appreciate how quickly I got a response!

Unfortunate, I have tried it in SD card/Ringtones and SD card/media/audio/notifications/Ringtones and rebooting it after moving the file. =/

For reference, every other mp3 and wav I use as a custom ringtone is in the Music folder and I can set it with no trouble. It's just this ONE file, which is why it's driving me so mad.

Upvote 0
If the folder is on the external SD card it may not be detected.

If you are connected to a computer with a USB cable it may not be detected and will play the default sound instead even if the new sound is selected. This one is caused by sharing between the two devices and the PC might have exclusive access.

On my Droid Maxx they are in ...

/storage/sdcard0/tlaNET/notifications
/storage/sdcard0/tlaNET/ringtones

Not on removable SD card and not connected to a PC.

... Thom

Reactions: SixtyXCelph
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, that didn't accomplish it, either.

Fortunately, I found a work around while I was moving the file around on my phone rather than via PC. I found an option to set the file as the ringtone directly without going through the settings menu. Still doesn't show up in the settings menu, but, I tested it and it plays the file when I set it that way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones