• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sony Blu Ray DLNA support

reiththestud

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
Can anyone with a Sony Bluray Google TV confirm what DLNA specs it supports? I have gotten mixed messages from the internets :thinking: . DLNA's certification website says it is only "Photo" certified, but other sites seem to indicate that it is video and music certified as well. My father-in-law just got a stand-alone Sony Blu-ray Player that is DLNA compatible and I can use iMediashare on my phones and tablets to fling videos to the blu-ray player for playback. It seems odd that Sony's standalone player would be compatible like this but not the Google TV.

Could someone with a Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player please use iMediashare and confirm if you can fling videos to the player over DLNA?

You can "fling" (or PlayTo) with the default media player. You may have to enable the option, but it works.

My Sony GTV box is the best DLNA player I have in the house (Samsung TV, Samsung Blu-Ray, Xoom, Galaxy Nexus). It plays every video I have thrown at it which includes 1080p h264 HighProfile videos with DTS audio.

I use twonky as my server.

Upvote 0
The Sony blu-ray player has to play every codec that a blu-ray/dvd player supports. That helps.

I don't have any video files on my phone/tablets because that what my linux server and dlna software is for. I'll try loading something on a device later, but I have used my Xoom as a DLNA remote (BubbleUPnpP) plenty of times from server to GTV box.

Upvote 0
Yeah it works, but it is going to depend on the software on your phone. BubbleUpnp doesn't even show you local media (unless there was a setting I missed). It didn't work on UPnP. It worked with local media on MediaBrowserHD UpnP though. I didn't try iMediaShare as the wife was yelling at me enough for interrupting her House Hunters.

I use Twonky server on an Ubuntu machine for DLNA. I don't have transcoding turned on so the GTV box does all the work.

You know there will be a new Sony (and other manufacturers) blu-ray players with GTV coming out in summer.

Reactions: reiththestud
Upvote 0
Thanks for risking the wrath of your wife to help me out drhill. I appreciate it. And yeah, I know there are new gtvs coming soon. The question is whether or not I can wait. I got a Logitech Revue for Christmas but I got enough amazon gift cards to be able to afford the sony blu-ray if I returned the Revue. Seemed like a good idea since Logitech kicked their customers in the teeth by dropping support. I'm ready to jump into gtv now and I was really hoping the companies new wares on show at CES were going to be more shipment ready. Not sure if I can wait until summer. But I might have to in order to get an ARM based device. Decisions Decision.

Upvote 0
ARM isn't better performance. The Soc they seem to be using may have some better feature support (CableCards and some other things), but Intel is the king of performance. Energy and cost is a different story.

I am waiting to buy a second blu-ray unit. I need full 3d support for my main tv. The current Sony unit is supposed to be upgraded to support 3d blu-rays, but I'm not sure if it will support HD audio at the same time. So I'm waiting to see what's going down, but summer may be a long wait. The new remote looks nice, but the old one isn't as bad as some people say. Aside from missing backlighting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones