• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sony Ericsson Android Phone - Concept

Just seen this?

sonyericsson_P905-thumb-450x576.jpg

Full article here

i love my g1 for what it will be infuture but as far as being spoiled by this keyboard is crazy i acme from a blackberry curve before that iphone both keyboards were better on screen and off i think the keyboard is one of the bad things its off set and kind of hard to use you get use to it but it does not make it great when compared to other smart phones

Upvote 0
i love my g1 for what it will be infuture but as far as being spoiled by this keyboard is crazy i acme from a blackberry curve before that iphone both keyboards were better on screen and off i think the keyboard is one of the bad things its off set and kind of hard to use you get use to it but it does not make it great when compared to other smart phones

I disagree. If you look at a Sidekick keyboard, that's as close as you will get to a computer keyboard on a cell phone. The G1 is a very close second, and they probably tried to imitate the Sidekick's keyboard.

I can't stand Blackberry/Treo/etc. keyboards. I also can't stand the iPhone's. With the exception of the iPhone's wide keyboard (when it's turned on its side), all of those are extremely small. I have decent-sized hands for a male, and when I try to use two thumbs to type, I feel like I'm going to develop arthritis or something because it's so uncomfortable. Those are one-hand keyboards in my opinion.

I also can't stand keyboards like the enV/Voyager/etc. They're square, there's barely any space between keys, and buttons are all over the place (the backspace AKA "clear" button isn't even a part of the keyboard and the spacebar(s) are all the way on the right/left). They make no sense to me.

To each his own, though. Not attacking any personal preferences; just giving my opinion. :)

Upvote 0
I've tried a BB, Treo, various Nokia, iPhone, and samsung qwerty keyboards.

The only one that didn't suck was the Nokia E71 (I didn't try the E90 though).

They have the wrong feel, they have sub-par layouts, etc. The G1 is, IMO, orders of magnitude better. I like the key feel, I like the level of tactile feedback, etc. I like that the keys are staggered, like a real keyboard. The only thing I find lacking in the keyboard itself is that there's no control key, and no escape key (making ConnectBot have to do special things to achieve that).

I don't know if dskyers meant (by "offset") the part about the keys being staggered like a real keyboard, or that the device itself is asymmetric (chin on one side only). For the former, like I said, I think that's a bonus, not a minus. For the latter, I think that's a problem with the device not the keyboard itself. (I do wish that either there were 2 chins, like a sidekick, or that it was chinless, like an HTC Touch Pro, or the above concept).

But, IMO, the keyboard itself is one of the things that the G1 got amazingly right. I could make tradeoffs on the rest of the phone, but not the keyboard -- anything less would be very bad.

As for on-screen keyboards.. my only wish is that you could do T9 type input, for sending SMS, using the existing on-screen dialer. Otherwise, I find virtual qwerty keyboards to be worse than useless. Especially the iPhone's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones