1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Sony planning on blocking the gamepad use for non optimized apps?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I wonder if Sony can block pad use if they want, based on the switch process of opening the pad?

Here is a snip from Cnet UK:

For instance, sliding out the game pad launches the 'Xperia Play' app, which is divided into 'Xperia Play Games' and 'More Games' sections. It's not exactly clear, but the former section hosts games that are already installed, and the latter section takes you to a sliding menu of titles that you can download. Tapping on titles in this menu enables you to buy them, and here the first problem becomes clear -- there's no single store from which to download games.

Seems if Sony wants to force folks to buy their optimized versions, they could easily block folks from using the pad for any app not Sony spec optimized.

Advertisement

2. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Connecticut
    I suppose it is possible, but what would be their motivation? Would they make these little indie developers pay to access the hardware controls? That would disastrous.

Call me a blind optimist, but I see that second section as merely a filter for the existing Android Market - showing only the games that have been identified as being Play-compatible. I don't think Sony is making a separate market selling only Play-compatible games.

Can someone from the UK who has one already clarify this for us? Are you buying games like Reckless Racing from the regular Market or from Sony?

3. chowyunfatt

chowyunfatt Lurker
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    I've been reading the forums for a while and just decided to join :)
    I agree with you there is no way Sony will make only Xperia Play apps available, there will be loads of games that will just have a option to use pad controls and it will just be in the title description, much like on ISO where it says compatible with what ever generation ipod/iphone it is.

The Xperia Play games are highlighted separate because well that's what most people would want to play I suspect? seen as the main purpose is to play with a pad.

4. yoyohere2

yoyohere2 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    I love chowyunfat. Did he retire?

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    He is playing Hard Boiled on his X Play :eek: