1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sony Qriocity / Music Unlimited , APK?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hansschmucker, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hansschmucker

hansschmucker Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

Music Unlimited on Android Market

Sony has released an application that allows access to the Qriocity, their pay-for music streaming service, on Android. For PS3 users, there's also a 180-days trial of the basic service, along with a 30-days trial of the premium service.

A word of warning first: As usual, you should check the transaction tab of the PS3 XMB and set the expiration to "Do not extend automatically" as soon as you order the trial packages or you might end up getting a bill for the next month.

Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with the service. OK, so it needs Flash on the PC, which means that I have a separate browser instance running just to play music, but the interface is surprisingly good and the catalog contains even relatively rare stuff like "Pizzicato Five".

So I was curious to try the Android application, but for some reason, the Android Market blocks my device (LG Optimus One P500) from installing the (free) application, citing "compatibility issues". To be honest, I have more than a little trouble believing that: The screen is definitely supported as Sony clearly states a 320x480 minimum requirement, which the P500 has. Which really only leaves the CPU: The P500 has a 600 MHz ARMv6-capable CPU. Not exactly top-of-the-line, but there are still enough once-premium devices around that don't support ARMv7. It seems unlikely that Sony would not support those.

So, very likely, this is simply an issue with an incorrect compatibility rating, but sadly it means that I can't install and try for myself. Could some kind soul upload the (once again: free; I'm not and never would ask for protected software) APK somewhere so I can test? There are many applications that are able to export the APK to SD, for example AndroZip: Just go to the App-Manager (the cogwheel), put a checkmark next to the application and press Backup.

Thank you in advance.
    --Hans Schmucker

P.S. Don't let my little request stop you from simply discussing the application itself here. I'm also curious about how people like the application. I doubt it's perfect for me (yet), as I have very specific requirements: I'd need a good caching mechanism, since I'm not on a unlimited data plan, meaning that I would need it to pre-load data when using Wifi to keep my bill low.... somehow that seems an unlikely feature for Sony to implement.

Advertisement