• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sony vs Samsung

note without touchwiz (if I get a note its being rooted and ROMed day three)

Doesn't touchwiz on the note offer nifty functions with the hovering stylus? I seem to remember that was the one thing that impressed the most about note 2 over gs3. Or do non-touchwiz roms offer hovering stylus functionality? Or is that an overrated gimic?

Reactions: Note3owner
Upvote 0
Non samsung roms don't offer most of the stylus functions. The s pen is Samsung trademark and unless the Rom is made specifically for the note, i dougt the functionality of the s pen will be to its full capabilities.

I would suggest using a launcher rather than root (this is 1 phone i dont intend to root.)

I hate to tell you didn't mention the note three because I can afford it and it being outdated doesn't ring true for me, the ROM I plan to use would be probam which still gives me spen. Custom launchers don't really do it for me save for nova or sslauncher the original and I would use that on the ROM if I want it. The phone I have now runs probam KitKat and with half the ram and half the cores just make a stock note 2 look laggy. And there is the issue of how it looks Sony makes some very pleasing looking devices. The galaxy line seems generic in that regard.

Upvote 0
Doesn't touchwiz on the note offer nifty functions with the hovering stylus? I seem to remember that was the one thing that impressed the most about note 2 over gs3. Or do non-touchwiz roms offer hovering stylus functionality? Or is that an overrated gimic?

I said day three for a reason ,I would want to see if I like it first then find Roms with what I like to use

Upvote 0
well its a mixed bag for me. with stamina mode enabled i get pretty alright life. but i have terrible signal (under -100) in my house so im sure thats causing a good bit of battery loss. plus mine is only 2300mah battery to the z1s's 3000 i cant imagine it is anything but much better especially with the snapdragon 800's better battery life over teh snapdragon 600 (which the apq8064 is even older than the s600).

Upvote 0
well its a mixed bag for me. with stamina mode enabled i get pretty alright life. but i have terrible signal (under -100) in my house so im sure thats causing a good bit of battery loss. plus mine is only 2300mah battery to the z1s's 3000 i cant imagine it is anything but much better especially with the snapdragon 800's better battery life over teh snapdragon 600 (which the apq8064 is even older than the s600).

I would be coming from 3200 battery which gives me 12 hours every day and I got used to that life

Upvote 0
Sony may be out with a new Z by that time. No idea, just thinking out loud with product release cycles.

Maybe in Japan or Asian markets
In general but I doubt in the united states until late summer.

Have you considered the HTC One at all? I got one, and never looked back after comparing it to the Moto X, LG G2, Galaxy S4, and Note 2.

Oh I considered it held it in my hand but the metal look and feel isn't for me, the moto X is something that I would love to have, but I can't seem to finance with T-Mobile, g2 never appealed to me, ever its a S4 without bezels. The s4 and note three are overkill for my needs so why pay more for what I really don't think I need.

I had a choice between the Z1 & Note 3 when I upgraded in September and I'm still delighted with my choice.

The UI is great, it's mega fast, the screen is beautiful and I've no complaints with battery life either. I work 13 hour shifts atresth relatively heavy use on 3G, I make it through a shift no problem.
I will assume you picked up el note tres.

Upvote 0
Fair enough on the metal, it's not for everyone. Some love it, some hate it (it's what sold the One to me).

I agree on the other counts, though. The Moto X is tricky to get financed. Well, between the Z1 and hte Note 2, I'd recommend the Z1, but that's just me. If it were Z1/Note 3, I'd recommend the Note 3, but you already said that, due to costs, you were looking at the Note 2.

Reactions: DirtyDee
Upvote 0
I will assume you picked up el note tres.

The Z1 (sorry, it's listed under my devices but I probably should have mentioned that). I played with the Note 3 for 5 minutes or so and the Z1 just felt like a much better handset all round.

Every one's opinion differs of course, but Samsung (more appropriately, Touchwiz) is not for me.

Reactions: DirtyDee
Upvote 0
Fair enough on the metal, it's not for everyone. Some love it, some hate it (it's what sold the One to me).

Honestly I think I really like the metal but I think I expected more weight. It was too light the moto g has very nice weight distribution the one felt light as air (lol can't please everyone) that doesn't make me want a phone which is why the s3 isn't on this list at all its too light and I rather have a broken screen than use a case

The Z1 (sorry, it's listed under my devices but I probably should have mentioned that). I played with the Note 3 for 5 minutes or so and the Z1 just felt like a much better handset all round.

Every one's opinion differs of course, but Samsung (more appropriately, Touchwiz) is not for me.
Tapatalk problems lol

Upvote 0
Oh I considered it held it in my hand but the metal look and feel isn't for me, the moto X is something that I would love to have, but I can't seem to finance with T-Mobile, g2 never appealed to me, ever its a S4 without bezels. The s4 and note three are overkill for my needs so why pay more for what I really don't think I need.

tmobile doesnt do financing on the moto x, they dont even sell it. have to go through motos financing for that. i applied last week, im hoping i get approved so i can snag one up myself.

Upvote 0
tmobile doesnt do financing on the moto x, they dont even sell it. have to go through motos financing for that. i applied last week, im hoping i get approved so i can snag one up myself.

I was approved for 350 in December grabbed moto x and some shells for it almost done paying it off. My credit is so low due to lack of history so I figured this is a good way to start it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones