1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Sony - will they ever learn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by zuben el genub, Jul 4, 2013.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

HARDOCP - Sony Wants Watermarks And Online Authentication Before Each Movie

I remember when they got sued and backed down over CDs.

MS just backed down with the Xbox.

Microsoft pulls a 180, reverses Xbox One always-on DRM and used games policy | Microsoft - CNET News

I don't think I'd want a phone or camera from this company.
    Some of the new digital cameras are bad enough.

My old 20D DSLR will take a picture with no date, or other information put into the camera. I've just blanked out that whole menu.
    The Canon powershot HS 50 won't do anything until you put in a damn date. It's none of the camera's business. We kept our stuff sorted in the film era.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

"However, if you are a legitimate customer with no Internet connection – permanently or temporarily – content will not play on your 4K device."

This is about protecting 4K content. As I understand it, 4K is going to be delivered and streamed exclusively via the internet. Certainly not going to fit on optical discs AFAIK. So if you got no internet, you're not very likely to be watching 4K movies anyway.

3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I think 4K will be a dud :D

Read a superb article about it on el Reg that basically explains why it is totally dumb - basically, it's great so long as you ONLY watch things that are absolutely still .. which kinda misses the point of moving pictures :stupid:

As for Sony - they have form. Not unrelated to them having (had?) interests in TV and movie studios. Consequently, this is no real surprise.

mikedt likes this.
  4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

^^^^
    That's a good article, very informative.

"The abysmal dynamic resolution will restrict us to gardening programmes showing plant growth and the new sport of snail racing."

Something I've noticed now even with the current HD, the demonstration videos are nearly always still, or nearly still. and usually nature. They never seem to show football matches or motor racing.

3D TV turned out to be a flop, as I knew it would be.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ch-them.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    But I guess the likes of Sony et-al, always have to find new ways to convince us to buy new TVs.

5. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Of course it'll be a dud, but the TV manufacturer's need to make you think there's some kind of upgrade to Bluray to keep selling TV's ;)

6. recDNA

recDNA Android Enthusiast

Heck, analog looked fine to me and it was easier to record and keep recordings! I swear they invented hd just to kill vcrs.

7. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Now in defence if 3d coverage, if the bbc had done things a little better, there would have been more uptake. firstly the only Olympic coverage was the opening and closing ceremonies,100m final and a highlights programme, the highlights were shown at 10.30/11pm that night and repeated the following day at 7am - not exactly prime time for the whole family!

The Other shows had very little in the way of advertising,I personally watched the proms for the first time ever just because it was in 3d, likewise the dancing show...I missed the dinosaurs one because it was not well advertised at all.

Then this week I've tried to get watching the tennis in 3d, I know if someone twenty miles away who did it for, but any time I tried there was a massive sync delay, 7 seconds between picture and sound! This was reduced by changing back and forth channels, I got it down to 2 or 3 seconds(this is obviously an issue with the bbc hd channel, on 303, red button as it happened in 2d earlier tonight) which then takes us to the final issue being shown on the red button option/obscure channels(obviously had to be done as it had to be shown on an hd channel!)

Iliked that the bbc were showing things in 3d but I felt it should and could have been done a lot better! In fact I believe that sky viewers couldn't even get to watch the tennis in 3d for some reason!(I could be wrong on this as I've not verified it, but if true cancels out many 3d sets as not everyone who has sky has freeview tv aerial available!)

don't get me wrong,I wouldn't like to watch everything in 3d, it is just an occasional treat really, watch films and specific events being shown,I am disappointed the trial wasn't done better! Oh and the 3d opening ceremony missed out lots of bits too as I didn't realise there was a story behind/being told during the house and phone call scene thing as we didnt get the texts etc on screen!

8. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Sorry for being off original topic so much but......lol

9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Personally, I listen more than I watch. I prefer sports and they all have instant replay. I wouldn't care if it was black and white. I don't watch much regular TV except some PBS.
    I still prefer the baseball radio announcers. If the TV announcer is any good, you can visualize everything anyway.

No one seems to want 3D. New article about smart TVs being hacked. But most people seem to use the TVs as view only. They don't hook it up.

10. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I had my 'smart' TV hooked up to t'interweb. Then it updated it's software and .. connection details lost. Can't be bothered to fix it.

3D? Apart from the glasses and the rip-off prices, never really had a problem with it .. or felt any real desire to have it.

11. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Not surprised. Sony's been on my "no buy" list for years now.