1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sony X930D, emulators, and adding additional controller support.

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by TheInternal, Jul 17, 2016.

1. TheInternal

TheInternal Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2016
    Male
    So, I got a shiny new Android TV (the 55" Sony Bravia X930D) and am trying to figure out how to get it to work with any of my existing controllers (Steam Controller, XBox One controller, and PS3 controllers) in hopes of playing some RetroArch.
    RetroArch is unusable / won't respond to the controller, despite whatever controllers I plug in. The TV remote is only capable of one input at a time, so it's totally worthless for any android games. There's no obvious way to add any controllers other than dualshock 4s to the TV (despite Sony listing about half a dozen devices that supposedly work with it.)
    Is there an (easy?) way to add support for additional devices? Is there some hack or app to add controller support?
    Also... No Google Chrome or browser preinstalled? WTF?

Advertisement

2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    I don't have an easy answer for you, other than buying a separate Android TV Box for your TV.

I'm personally a bit skeptical about these versions of Android TV that the big TV makers include in their devices.
    They are usually hobbled beyond recognition and not very easy to upgrade, tinker with or use.

You just get the limited functions that they want you to have and nothing more.

mikedt likes this.
  3. TheInternal

TheInternal Lurker
    None

Jul 17, 2016
    Male
    So, will I have to root my device to add support for controllers of my choice? How tricky is that to do on an Android TV?

4. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    I don't think it's even possible to root your TV and even if it was and you managed to do it, the warranty would be void.

I seriously would reconsider this as an option. It won't work out well for you or the TV!

If you know that the controllers that you want support for will work on Android devices then get a cheap Android TV box and plug it in the back of your TV. Mucking around with the TV interface is gonna end up causing you pain!