1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support sony z3c lollipop rooted -> Can I delete "update_package" on my internal storage

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jens marder, Sep 17, 2016.

1. jens marder

jens marder Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2016
    Hi, want to free some storage on my device and I used the app "DiskUsage" to scan my internal storage and this is the result:
    [​IMG]

my Question is if it is save to delete the file "update_package" and get the 957MiB free?
    What does this file normally do ? I rooted my Sony z3c by downgrading to KitKat then rooting the KitKat and flashing a custom Lollipop, so my guess is that this file belongs to the upgrade from KitKat to Lollipop during my root process.
    I can access it with windows explorer and already made a backup copy:
    [​IMG]

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Hey Jens, welcome to our AndroidForums!

That update_package file does indeed seem like an extraneous file, but it would help to know the full path to where that file is and if it has a ".zip" suffix/extension before advising / recommending that you can delete it.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. jens marder

jens marder Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2016
    Hi, thank you

The file does not have an suffix/extension the full name is just "update_package" I looked it up with Total Commander App
    and it has the full file path "/storage/emulated/0/recovery". I tired to open my backup copy of this file in windows with the software winRAR but I was not compatible.

I connected to my rooted device from windows PUTTY and looked up when the file was last accessed:
    upload_2016-9-18_9-39-28.png
    2016-05-09 was the exact date when i rooted my sony z3c by installing KitKat, root and then flash rooted Lollipop

scary alien likes this.
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Thanks! That does jibe with what I found: a reference to "/storage/emulated/0/recovery" (that did not reference the similar "/storage/emulated/0/recovery.img") and also mentions "update_package" and is also for a Sony device:

If it were me, I'd also transfer the update_package file to my PC before I removed it--but it certainly seems like an update/OTA-related file that is (or should be) no longer needed (from what I can tell).

Cheers!