1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Sony's network down was a hack, personal data stolen

Discussion in 'Computers' started by edge, Apr 26, 2011.

1. edge

edge Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2010

Advertisement

2. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Live has had it's share of problems to..like the article said, theres no indication tht anything was stolen at this point its all speculation.
    Besides i'm not going to complain about a free online gaming service that most of the time works very well.
    For all the 360 guys making fun for all you know Live could be next.....

3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    PSN was attacked due to Sony's douche-tactics vs GeoHotz. Anonymous warned them that a strike on their network would be imminent if they continued to use douche-tactics. Now look what happened.

I see no reason why someone would attack XBL. Microsoft hasn't attacked their fan base.

Sony got what it deserved, imo.

4. Jammy

Jammy Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Glad to be on Steam ;D

5. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Male
    Texas
    Glad I never owned a Playstation. I'm a Microsoft/Nintendo person.

6. poopookakada

poopookakada Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Local Radio Presenter
    Swindon, UK
    We recorded my games show in advance this week and got straight on this. We fully believe that it was an attack by Anonymous due to the threats made during the GeoHotz case.

I personally hope they can't get it back up for a long time, just to 'teach them a lesson' and I'd have done a similar thing..... if I knew what I was doing ;)
    I'm an XBL guy myself, but I do feel sorry for the users.

7. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    I was pissed at Sony for their douche-tactics against GeoHotz, but instead of ruining it for everyone, I tried to hit them in the wallet by buying a B&N Nook instead of a Sony Reader like I originally planned to do. I know, they probably didn't notice, but what I did didn't cause a bunch of people to get all freaked out about their bank accounts and identity. There's no good excuse for doing this kind of shit.

8. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    Sony didnt get hit, their users did, so all the PSN users deserved this?:thinking:

9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    PSN users did not deserve this at all. It was Sony's gross incompetence which lead to unencrypted personal data getting leaked.

I can see a mass of 'personal data protection' lawsuits heading Sony's way in the next few weeks and months. They deserve this very much. IANAL but I'm quite sure in the UK, Sony is in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998

10. Adauth

Adauth Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    Oil and gas industry.
    New Orleans
    This is bad for now, but will lead to alot of improvement on the PSN in the furture

11. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Rather like when an aeroplane crashes and hundreds are killed. Improvements and changes are made to try and ensure the same thing never happens again.

I believe in Sony's case, the leak of unencrypted personal data was entirely preventable. When a server has a database of valuable personal information which is on the public internet, that database MUST be encrypted. So if there are any breaches of security due to attacks or whatever, any leaked data is encrypted and is therefore useless.

What Sony has done is criminal, and those responsible should go to prison for this. Of course this is the very same 'Sony' which put rootkits on CDs.

12. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest
    None
    What about the guy who hacked it. I believe he is more at fault. There was no need for him to do what he did.

I have a ps3 but never my credit card on it thank god.

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Because he was able to hack into Sony's customer database and obtain all your and everyone else's personal details, exposed Sony's criminal lack of proper basic security procedures. The fact that the database was not encrypted at all and was on a public internet server, was completely irresponsible, and is actually unlawful in many countries, eg the UK.

Sony should be facing criminal proceedings for its gross negligence of established security procedures and a hefty fine.

14. poopookakada

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Local Radio Presenter
    Swindon, UK
    Sony are being Investigated by the US, Australian and UK governments at the moment with court a high possibility in all three countries

15. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    There's also a class action lawsuit that was filed not too long ago against Sony as well.

16. poopookakada

None

Feb 3, 2011
    Local Radio Presenter
    Swindon, UK
    Is there? Can you direct me to details? I think it'll be interesting for my listeners to hear about all of the problems with Sony

17. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    This has come at a terrible time when I could really use the entertainment online gaming provides me. As a PSN user, I have done nothing wrong to either Sony or any hackers, yet I am suffering because of this. And, as I have used my credit card information in the past, I decided to just get a new card. Thankfully, it's not too much of a hassle, and when asked why I wanted to, my bank never batted an eye.

It's now been two weeks, and the network is still down. Not only is this inconvenient, it's straight annoying. What's worse is not knowing when any of the services are going to come back online. I understand they're wanting to make things more secure (as they should have from the beginning), but does that really affect online gaming or messaging? I can live without the PSN store or Home for a lil while (as they include services that would require credit card info), but c'mon. Just give us that back.