1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Soon To Be Buying The Samsung Galaxy S

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swood91, Jun 28, 2011.

1. swood91

swood91 Newbie
    None

I'll be buying the Samsung Galaxy S very soon and want to know whether there are any major bugs, annoyances etc for this phone. Anything that could tilt my decision on buying this model.
    Also if i do buy it, i'll be getting 500MB internet allowance a month. Is that a lot? I've never used internet on my phone so i'm not sure how much i'll need. I'll only really use it for downloading apps and maybe watching a couple YouTube videos or something like that on the go. Are you able to see how much of your allowance your using?
    And finally can you transfer over apps to your phone using your laptop connection or do you have to download them using your phones internet? That could say on my monthly allowance :).

Thanks a lot
    swood

Advertisement

2. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    500Mb is not a lot, I have 2.5Gb but I share that around my laptop and tablet. There are tools to check what you are using.

You can use wireless through anywhere to download apps so will not use your phones allowance.

Cheers.

Pete

3. swood91

swood91 Newbie
    None

The most i can get for it is 1GB a month, but that costs an extra

4. robogo

robogo Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    student
    Croatia
    If you're going to use it on mobile data ONLY, then yes, 500 megs might be a little too little.

If you, on the other hand, have wifi at home... then it just might be enough.

5. seepage

seepage Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 16, 2010
    I use WiFi to download any thing large, so unless I am away from home I seldom get anywhere near using 500meg.

6. basalt

basalt Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Electron microscopist
    UK
    500 is fine for me - I use wifi at home and work so it covers web browsing and a bit of radio over 3g. Plus most providers will let you increase your allowance but drop back down to your orignal rate if you don't use it all so you're better off starting low and increasing if you need.

7. swood91

swood91 Newbie
    None

Thank you everyone for the replies. One question i have is still unanswered. Am i able to download apps to my laptop and transfer them over to the phone? If so is any software needed or do i just drag and drop?

Thanks
    swood

8. philheckler

philheckler Newbie
    None

Apr 13, 2011
    Any apps you get on the android marketplace on your pc will be sent to your phone automatically.

9. dhj1974

dhj1974 Lurker
    None

Jul 2, 2011
    I don't know about UK, but in the US there are a lot of problems with recent firmware upgrades from Samsung (to Verizon). Our phone locks up and turns off the various wireless access modes by itself. I'm trying to get some help from Samsung but they won't admit to the problem even though the local Verizon Wireless tech says they are getting a lot of them messed up and they don't have any more in the store OR THE WAREHOUSE! Our phone is only 4 months old and it is junk.

10. tempest7

tempest7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    The short answer is 'Yes'. There's something called an .apk file. If you find a copy of that, you can transfer it over manually to your phone and with an app installer you can install it onto your phone (need to enable the third party app ability in your settings).

Aside from that, you can not directly download it from the market and move it to your phone.

11. ericbab

ericbab Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    Quebec, canada
    Hi,
    I have an SGS for some some times now, it's a cool phone but here's the main irritants:

- Samsung is very late to releasing firmware updates. Some people don't care, but geeks like me enjoy having the latest and greatest.
    - GPS antenna has very low sensitivity
    - The SGS have some bugs related to microphone and Ethernet driver making it hard to get good quality voice on SIP phones applications. Event native GSM calls are not so great quality.

If I had to buy a phone now, I would buy a Google phone (yes the nexus S is made by Samsung but the SW is less buggy, maybe developped by Google)