• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Soon to be former X owner

What issues did you have with the X that made you want to change phones?

I've just had too many instances of deleted pics, reboots, bugs, etc. I'm unable to connect to USB mass storage mode without several reboots, every single time. I know it's a fun phone for tinkerers who like to make things work with high customization. And I do like that about the phone. But in the end, I need something with less frustration that just works. My Storm I was getting fairly buggy by the time I got the X (it just didn't have any memory), but even it wasn't as bad as this, and that was the reason I went ahead and got the X when I did. I know everything will have its issues (re: antenna problem with the iPhone, or whatever with any other phone). But having less frustration is a priority for me. For those of you who can do a lot with the X and make it work well, I know it's the best phone for many. But some of us less-inclined consumers need more idiot-proofing and stability.

Just as an FYI -- I work in IT and have a fair amount of experience having to work with systems. But the development tool I use works very well. I have to develop my own code so that it doesn't bug out. If I had to spend so much time resolving problems with the development tool itself I would never get my job done.

Please try not to flame me -- remember it's all about what suits each individual.

~

Upvote 0
No flame here. This phone is definitely not for everybody. Sorry to see you go because of hardware issues. I can understand your frustration. I have yet to have any of these problems (knock on wood) but I have dealt with instability in the past so I understand your pain. I hope the next phone you get is exactly what you are looking for!

Upvote 0
Sadly you can probably expect a few flames. It seems as though there must be a lot of young people who may be a bit on the insecure side of life still (that USUALLY dies down with age/experience) that hang around this board. Because while I can understand when someone jumps on here and yells, "the Droid X is for losers, get an iPhone and get a life" or something similar, then sure that will ruffle peoples feathers.

But I've seen lots of people (just as you did) calmly try to bow out and thank everyone for being so hospitable and everything while they were here, and some people still get defensive for no reason at all. Like you said, not everyone want's the exact same thing out of a phone. I wouldn't dream of talking my dad into getting an X. He would probably have an aneurysm within a 72 hours of trying to figure one of these things out! lol

Hope your next phone gives you what you've been looking for.

Upvote 0
I've just had too many instances of deleted pics, reboots, bugs, etc. I'm unable to connect to USB mass storage mode without several reboots, every single time. I know it's a fun phone for tinkerers who like to make things work with high customization. And I do like that about the phone. But in the end, I need something with less frustration that just works. My Storm I was getting fairly buggy by the time I got the X (it just didn't have any memory), but even it wasn't as bad as this, and that was the reason I went ahead and got the X when I did. I know everything will have its issues (re: antenna problem with the iPhone, or whatever with any other phone). But having less frustration is a priority for me. For those of you who can do a lot with the X and make it work well, I know it's the best phone for many. But some of us less-inclined consumers need more idiot-proofing and stability.

Just as an FYI -- I work in IT and have a fair amount of experience having to work with systems. But the development tool I use works very well. I have to develop my own code so that it doesn't bug out. If I had to spend so much time resolving problems with the development tool itself I would never get my job done.

Please try not to flame me -- remember it's all about what suits each individual.

~
About those reboots, pictures lost, and any other media files (videos) - had the same problem!!! I am not THE expert, but was pretty much good writing for Nexus 1, was an new rom flashing addict, etc.....and what i found out about Dx was, that till we are not able to break bootloader, modify kernels, etc....all we are doing to ours Dxs, is just "not complete work", hope you know what i have in mind. See, all those "so called" roms, are not really roms. It is rather just themes, yet not perfect. I just noticed that i always was losing media files from my SD card, after i "themed" my X. No matter what theme i was using. Even once, very strange thing happened.......i hard reseted my phone, i wipe EVERYthing, and at the end, after phone rebooted, i got beautiful NexTheme installed with new set of fonts!!!! I know, someone will tell that somehow it has been installed form SD...well, wrong!! I was using brand new, formatted card at that time. Very weird........so i decided go back to stock, root and that's it! I did NOT deox files, just rooted. Since than, nothing has been lost anymore. See, my point is - i decided not to do anything but root, until someone (hope was given) will find the way to break bootloader. IMO this is the KEY.

Upvote 0
About those reboots, pictures lost, and any other media files (videos) - had the same problem!!! I am not THE expert, but was pretty much good writing for Nexus 1, was an new rom flashing addict, etc.....and what i found out about Dx was, that till we are not able to break bootloader, modify kernels, etc....all we are doing to ours Dxs, is just "not complete work", hope you know what i have in mind. See, all those "so called" roms, are not really roms. It is rather just themes, yet not perfect. I just noticed that i always was losing media files from my SD card, after i "themed" my X. No matter what theme i was using. Even once, very strange thing happened.......i hard reseted my phone, i wipe EVERYthing, and at the end, after phone rebooted, i got beautiful NexTheme installed with new set of fonts!!!! I know, someone will tell that somehow it has been installed form SD...well, wrong!! I was using brand new, formatted card at that time. Very weird........so i decided go back to stock, root and that's it! I did NOT deox files, just rooted. Since than, nothing has been lost anymore. See, my point is - i decided not to do anything but root, until someone (hope was given) will find the way to break bootloader. IMO this is the KEY.

What this wall of text says to me is that you had a corrupted file/filesystem on your sd card. When you used a brand new, formatted card, that's when your problems disappeared.

I will suggest the same to the op. I had a world of problems on my Droid 1 going from 2.1 to 2.2 roms. It turned out to be my sd card. After I backed up and reformatted my card, all the problems went away.

Upvote 0
Apparently I have discovered the reason for the constant reboots when connecting via USB mass mode. I was using Launcher Pro (free) and Desktop Visualizer for my home screen, which I had settled on as my permanent setup. I first removed Desktop Visualizer, but that didn't help. So I uninstalled Launcher Pro and now there are no reboots. I've tried it multiple times and it's working again. And I spent a good deal of time configuring that home screen just right. :(

I was wondering if that might be the cause for the reboots because it took some time to load the picture icons every time my phone booted up. Then when connecting to the PC it would always lock and reboot. So that home screen appears to have been the problem with that. And as I thought about it, my reboot problems began at the time I set that up. Not hardware related in this instance, but frustrating nonetheless.

~

Upvote 0
Good on you. :)

Does that mean you are keeping your X? :D

Probably not ... but if it works w/out too much hassle before I get something else I might change my mind. But I won't just put Blur back on and leave it at that in order to have a stable phone. If that's what I have to do to have a stable Android, what's the point?

~

Upvote 0
Probably not ... but if it works w/out too much hassle before I get something else I might change my mind. But I won't just put Blur back on and leave it at that in order to have a stable phone. If that's what I have to do to have a stable Android, what's the point?

~
You could give ADW a shot. Or maybe uninstall LP and reinstall it. I use LP+ and don't have any issues like that. Fluke maybe? In any case, I hope you find a phone that is right for you

Upvote 0
I know when 2.2 first came out LP did have some problems, in fact that was the only time on my phone when I had issues. However the developer is great and had a fix out in a couple of days. Have you checked the market to see if there is an update out there for LP? Also for the paid version (best money I have spent) and then you can back-up your LP settings if you need to as well. Also if that does not work I have heard the developer is rebuilding LP from the ground up.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I doubt that LP was really at fault. It's more likely because Desktop Visualizer had to load my icon pics from the SD card, then the phone wasn't able to release the card properly to hand it off to the PC. (It could be a bad quality SD card). That's what I think really happened. I likely had to uninstall LP to get the phone back to normal because it got messed up by the configuration. But apparently it works on other phones okay -- I got the idea from xda devs and the Android Themes forum.

~

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones