1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

soon to be iOS defector, teach me the ways of the force...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by SRH12, Apr 28, 2011.

1. SRH12

SRH12 Member
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    Hey everyone...

I'm about to jump ship from my sad and pathetic and OLD iphone 3g. a phone that apple bricked with iOS 4.0, mind you. Looking forward to jump ship and join team android. Its not that I hate apple, quite to the contrary I'm still rocking their computers for the foreseeable future (macbook ftw) but come on, android has surpassed iOS in terms of mobile OS and I refuse to stay loyal any longer. Survival of the fittest, am I right?

But I am only a padawan learner, I need your jedi wisdom...

Since I've held out this long, I'm forcing myself to wait a little longer until all of these new dual-core babies finally get released (what's with all the mystery regarding release dates?) Specifically the evo3d, sensation 4g, and of course the galaxy s2. I've messed around with an evo, and really think I dig sense ui, but I also think I could get into touchwiz.

Here are a couple of things I've come across in my research, I've been tossing back and forth because of these issues:
    The s2 wins on paper, hands down. The screen looks untouchable. But sense UI is just so intuitive! (touchwiz 4.0 seems good too, though) The galaxy has more memory also. Is htc kidding with the internal memory on the sensation and 3d?? Or do I just opt for a stock android phone? Mind you, I am a newbie and will probably need to be a phone or two in before I really feel comfortable with serious customizations.

I've decided to avoid the thunderbolt. The whole battery thing scares me (my iphone 3g lasts a mere few hours now and I wont put up with that again) and I think LTE has a few more kinks to work out over the coming months.

If you guys have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm sick of this piece of junk and can't wait to get a new android device. It's be a much easier decision if I actually knew when things would be available. (Note: I'm not in love with any carrier, my at&t contract is up and I'm a free agent)

Thanks people

Advertisement

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I feel your pain... or at least my wife does. She has the iPhone 3G as well and experienced the same BS once she upgraded to iOS4.

We see a lot of iOS defectors on these forums these days. First thing you should consider is which carrier you want to be on. It will really help narrow down your phone selection. Your money is going to the carrier, so you want to pick the one that suits you best. Compare plans, check coverage maps, talk to friends about their reception, customer service experience, etc.

As for the actual phone, everyone has a different opinion, so this is just mine. I like HTC. Because I am a rooted power user. I love tinkering and pushing my phone to do things most people don't even think of trying. HTC has the biggest rooting community of all manufacturers. If rooting is something you might consider, HTC is the place to be. HTC Sense is probably the most popular UI overlay. It really emphasizes user experience and aesthetics without copying iOS. But not everyone likes it. You have to play with them all and decide. Evo 3D will be out in less than 2 months. Definitely consider that one. qHD screen isn't as dense as iPhone 4, but I'll take the bigger screen over pixel density. Plus, 250ppi isn't shabby at all. Since you're already wary of the Tbolt, I won't have to talk you out of that one. Specwise, it's not much better than the Evo 4G (still a good phone, but starting to show a little age). The Sensation is an excellent choice. It's like the Evo 3D without the 3D. I wouldn't weigh internal memory as heavily as you seem to imply in your OP.

Samsung is known for its S-AMOLED screens. High color saturation, contrast ratio. Lot of people think it's a godsend. I wasn't too crazy about it. You have to look for yourself and decide. Historically, they're known for being the slowest to update to newer Android versions, but the company seems to be trying to improve in that regard. They've also had a history of GPS issues. Again, I think they've improved in that regard. Rooting community is still young but growing. Samsung's UI overlay is called Touchwiz. Apple is currently suing Samsung partly because TouchWiz looks too much like iOS. So either you feel right at home, or not. The Galaxy S2 would be the phone to pay attention to. Also the Nexus S, which is a Google phone, meaning it runs vanilla Android; no manufacturer UI overlay. Manufactured by Samsung. Nexus is guaranteed to get updates faster than any other phone.

Motorola would round out the top three Android manufacturers. If you're even remotely considering the benefits of rooting, stay away from Motorola. They encrypt their bootloaders, which really reduces the phone's root potential. If you don't care about rooting, they have great phones. Motoblur is the name of the UI overlay. I'm all over the place on these forums, and I have to say that it seems to be the least favorite overlay for most people. That said, I know lots of people personally who love their Motorola Androids, like the Droid X. Atrix is probably the best Moto phone at the moment. It has the ability to dock to a laptop-like accessory as well as a dock to connect to a TV. It also has a high resolution screen, like the Evo 3D although it utilizes a PenTile matrix which I frown upon heavily. The Droid Bionic is the next great Moto phone. However, very recently, Motorola pulled the Bionic's website, which could indicate that it's going to be delayed. It was originally announced for this summer.

So... that's a starting point... and what I think are the flagship Android phones now and in the near future.

And regarding rooting, these forums are a WEALTH of good information. Lots of really experienced users on all the time to help newcomers root their phone. You might find yourself ready to root a lot earlier than you think. And you'll also come to discover that a LOT of things that required jailbreak on the iOS side is doable without rooting. And there are lots of things you can do on an Android that is impossible on iOS.

And by the way, rooting and jailbreaking are not the same. Not even close. I've jailbroken the iPad and explored the possibilities. Rooted Android is true freedom at both hardware and software level. I don't really want to get into the details here; just wanted to dispel a common myth.

Good luck with your decision!

SRH12 likes this.
  3. SRH12

SRH12 Member
    None

Apr 28, 2011
    In terms of carrier, I'm not sure I have a preference. I'm within the 4g coverage of the big 4. Although I am quickly understanding a few caveats. Particularly that at&t doesnt get many great android devices and that vzw gets them a little late. With that being said, I really think I would be happy between t-mobile, sprint, or vzw. I realize there is some pricing differences but thats really negligible when you have a phone you really love.

Sense ui does seem very good, you can tell htc has put a ton of time into it. Knowing that the 3d and sensation are so very close in specs, it will be hard to choose between them. Especially because I dont have a carrier preference. I have been doing some poking around here and did find that while the internal memory of the htc's is puny, this can be remedied by installing apps to the sd card. Very interesting. I stick to my ipod for music and jogging so I wont be filling it up with songs. I probably wont be storing videos or podcasts or whatnot on it either, I still prefer a laptop for that. I will be taking photos and videos with the phone, but they'll get dumped onto my computer regularly for back-ups so that shouldnt be a problem either. The way I see it, my space will be used mostly for apps, as is the case with my 3g. So youre right, I should be ok on that front.

Touchwiz is a bit iOS-y in ways. but I see that as a good thing. I think one of the benefits of the apple-android cold war is theyre occassionally "borrowing" ideas from each other and trying to improve upon them. In a purely capitalistic, competition sense, this is great. It might keep the execs at each company up at night, but screw 'em, its great for the consumers. The s2 screen is superb, resolution or not, it stunning. I hope they realize they are putting out very popular devices and theyre making a crapload of money from them. I hope because of this, samsung doesnt bite the hand that feeds and puts a little of that cash back into updating their phones more regularly.

Motorola, while some of their phones do entice me... motoblur seems a bit clunky. I messed with a droidx last year and while I was originally impressed with its screen and form, the navigation between apps and widgets and whatnot felt a bit belabored. But maybe like touchwiz, this has improved.

I'll keep up my research. While I'm chomping at the bit to replace my phone, its probably a good thing nothing I think I want is out yet. It'll give me time to keep pondering.

Any other advice or input is always welcome.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I think waiting till the summer is smart. The big guns will be out then, and then you can do a round of hands-on testing.

5. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    I'm a huge supporter of the Droid X, so it kills me a little bit to support another phone, but if battery life is the only thing keeping you from the Tbolt you might want to take another look. I don't have one, so I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I gather it's largely the 4G that's killing the battery, which you can turn off when you're not using (for my money, 4g isn't yet all it's cracked up to be anyway). Plus, you seem tech savvy enough you can probably look up how to tweak some settings and get a pretty good battery life from it-- in addition to buying an extended battery if you want. For the most part, it seems like out of the box these phones all tend to eat a lot of battery, until you go find the settings you don't want/never use and disable them (do you really need weather updates every three minutes? I don't.)

I'm not saying it'll be great, but I'm sure you can get the battery to a point that's well within acceptability to you.

In terms of the different UIs and whatnot... again, I can only speak for the DX, but especially with gingerbread out now (and the official release coming... sometime soon, probably) I think you'll be very happy with it. Not to mention rooting and installing a new ROM is very easy and will let you do whatever you want. I say this not so much because it's droid x-specific, but because I imagine the same is basically true of all the phones out nowadays-- meaning I wouldn't put TOO MUCH stock in whether you prefer sense UI or motoblur or whatnot. Unless you prefer on using your phone as stock.