• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soon to get a Droid 2 (Hopefully!) - ?s

YoshiMan123

Dec 12, 2009
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but getting the Droid 2 for $50 from Amazon is a steal.

However, my phone does not have an upgrade yet. However, my sister does...So my question simply is do I put my number on whose line to upgrade (I don't want to get charged for a data plan under my sister's number, who does NOT have a data plan) and take it to Verizon to change it. Or do I put my number and will they assume to transfer the upgrade or what?

Hi Yoshi.

The only way for you to use your sister's upgrade without much hassle is if you're both under the same family plan. If that's the case, any authorized user in the plan can log online and reassign the upgrade from her line to yours. Otherwise, the main line in the plan would have to tag along on you trip to the store to transfer the upgrade. If you transfer the upgrade this way then all of the respective charges will go on the correct phone lines.

If you're both on separate individual plans, you'll have to get creative. First I'd simply go to the store and explain it. She has an upgrade, I'd like to use it on my line, and we're not on the same plan. Sometimes they'll agree to do it as long as both plans get extended a year. But the snag here is that attached to that phone is a 2 year commitment to enroll in a data plan, so that complicates it.

Either way, good luck!!

Reactions: YoshiMan123
Upvote 0
Hi Yoshi.

The only way for you to use your sister's upgrade without much hassle is if you're both under the same family plan. If that's the case, any authorized user in the plan can log online and reassign the upgrade from her line to yours. Otherwise, the main line in the plan would have to tag along on you trip to the store to transfer the upgrade. If you transfer the upgrade this way then all of the respective charges will go on the correct phone lines.

If you're both on separate individual plans, you'll have to get creative. First I'd simply go to the store and explain it. She has an upgrade, I'd like to use it on my line, and we're not on the same plan. Sometimes they'll agree to do it as long as both plans get extended a year. But the snag here is that attached to that phone is a 2 year commitment to enroll in a data plan, so that complicates it.

Either way, good luck!!

Thanks for the reply, we are on the same family plan.

But when I go under my Verizon Wireless to transfer the upgrade from her line to mine, I have to buy they phone from them Unless I'm not doing something right, I can't seem to change the upgrade from her line to mine without having to get the phone from then RIGHT when I change it. Unfortunately, it won't just let the upgrade stick, which would make things so much easier...

Upvote 0
The only way I can think of to do it is to buy the phone from Amazon on her line. Activate it. You will have to add the data plan temporarily to her line. Then, reactivate her old line. (this can all be done online). Then you are free to activate the D2 on your line. You will probably get charged a prorated amount for the data plan on her line, my guess would be about $1.

I haven't had to get creative with activations on Verizon in a few years. I know this would have worked but I don't know if they have changed anything.

Reactions: YoshiMan123
Upvote 0
The only way I can think of to do it is to buy the phone from Amazon on her line. Activate it. You will have to add the data plan temporarily to her line. Then, reactivate her old line. (this can all be done online). Then you are free to activate the D2 on your line. You will probably get charged a prorated amount for the data plan on her line, my guess would be about $1.

I haven't had to get creative with activations on Verizon in a few years. I know this would have worked but I don't know if they have changed anything.

Haha, alright, thanks for the help. I get what you're sayin'.

Droid 2 here I come...:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones