• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sorry in advance for this ridiculously noobish question ...

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
Is the "Samsung Galaxy S" its own phone? Or is that just a class of phones?

My BIL just bought a tmobile android, he said its a Galaxy S

But my boss also has a Android and said its a Vibrant, but is also a Galaxy S

Im asking because i want to help my BIL get info on Root and stuff, but i dont know which sub-forum to look in for him.

Do i look in Galaxy S forum? Or does he have to look deeper into what phone he has?

The Galaxy S range of phones includes several variations depending on which network you're on/where in the world you are (for instance the Captivate, Vibrant, Galaxy S international version), they are very similar, but not neccessarily all compatible with the same versions of lagfixes and so forth. I'd find out more and then hit up the right subforum at XDA-developers.

Upvote 0
is there a way from within the menu system that he can tell what his phone is?

If it's from TMobile, it's probably a Vibrant. But you can check it from within the phone as follows:

On a homescreen, Menu -> Settings -> About Phone.

Look for the Modem Number there. If it is

I9000 = International version of the Galaxy S. You'll have to look in the "Galaxy S" subforums on XDA for this one.

T959 = Vibrant

I897 = Captivate.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones