• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sorry mega noob question

OTchie

Lurker
Feb 21, 2009
So the g1 was just released in Australia and im so confused about what is happening with this phone.

1. Has the cupcake update been released allowing for video recording and on screen keyboard?
2. Can you transfer files using bluetooth?
3. How would i update my phone. Is it just over the phone or do i have to dl then put it on my phone.
4. Do i have to 'root' my phone to use all these applications listed?
5. (sorry) What does this 'root' thing do/mean?

Sorry about all this. Also if in wrong place.
Thanks

So the g1 was just released in Australia and im so confused about what is happening with this phone.

1. Has the cupcake update been released allowing for video recording and on screen keyboard?
2. Can you transfer files using bluetooth?
3. How would i update my phone. Is it just over the phone or do i have to dl then put it on my phone.
4. Do i have to 'root' my phone to use all these applications listed?
5. (sorry) What does this 'root' thing do/mean?

Sorry about all this. Also if in wrong place.
Thanks

1 cupcake is being released gradually.
2 you might be able to transfer files after the full version of cupcake is released.
3 the updates will be over the air (ota). you will receice the option on your phone once it is available.
4 you do not have to root your phone for updates. if you don't know what root is, you don't need it.
5 there are tons of info here on root. use the search bar to find everything you're looking for.

Upvote 0
No it's not. this is just a routine update and is not "cupcake" being released gradually

Actually, you're both a little off.

Cupcake is the name of a development branch. It is not any one specific update. The features created by the cupcake development branch are going to be released gradually (I believe some were included in the recent update) NOT all at once.

Since vodaphone is going to get the HTC Magic, an Android phone with no keyboard, the onscreen keyboard developed by the cupcake branch should be released in the near future. Other elements we've heard about (stereo bluetooth, etc) will be released in other updates. There isn't going to be some massive cupcake update, but small releases as the features are developed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones