• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sleedeane

Android Expert
Jul 6, 2011
Columbia, MO.
I feel that I'm wearing out my welcome in these forums.
Deservedly so.
Most of my posts are of very little value and I've pretty much become a sarcastic jerk to a lot of good people.

I've been in AF for 4 or 5 years now.
For the first couple of years I feel that I was respected and appreciated. Valued for my desire to learn, and to help others whenever possible.

Thanks to the knowledge I gained from AF, I successfully rooted and ROMed my first smartphones LG, HTC, and a few Samsungs.
I mean, I was really learning smartphones and helping others to learn.
Man could I impress my friends with my tech talk.
Sometimes I didn't really know what I was talking about.
But my friends didn't know any different. They thought/ think I am/was pretty knowledgeable about computers.

I do know a lot.
A lot more than I used to.
But man, I have a long, long ways to go compared to 90% of the people in here.
Everybody in here tech talks back and forth to and from, noob to Mod.
Talking root, ROMs, kernels, bootstraps, apks, unlocking, Sim cards, s/u, binaries, Chainfire, xda, TRWP and recoveries, Odin, memory card partitioning.
Hacking and developing and bricking too.

These conversations between teacher and student go on, pretty much seamlessly, until the desired outcome is achieved.
And the goal is always attained. Problem resolved.
The lines between noob and techie become blurred.

The noob is now the techie, off to help somebody else with their crisis.

Another very satisfied customer. Proud of what they know, and even prouder, and thirsty, to share what they have learned.

That's how this community thrives and grows. The cycle of life in AF.

Me, I find myself actually very limited now.
It seems that I'm either forgetting most of what I have learned in here, or the times are changing and everything has gotten more technical and I just can't keep up.
I haven't rooted anything in a couple of years now, and am becoming outdated on most of the lingo.
I have no confidence in myself and am afraid to brick something. Plus I don't own a computer so I have to rent one whenever I feel froggy.

So I can't hardy help others like I really want to.
Which is the the ultimate goal here, isn't it?
To help others?

Isn't that why all these people volunteer so much of their valuable time? To share in the fun of the Android world with all who want to know what this is all about and how far can they go with it?
Becoming moderators and sticking rules and information, regulating and oiling this machine?

What a pleasure it must be.
How satisfying.
How gratifying to bail people out of some pretty scary delemas. Their crisis. Their panic over breaking their prized toy.
To make them feel all fuzzy and warm inside about what they now know and how they were able to follow instructions.
They feel good about themselves thanks to some pretty wonderful people.

Another satisfied customer goes merrily down the road, up the ladder to their next endeavor, their next challenge.
They want to tackle something even bigger now because AF has once again instilled a renewed sense of confidence in themselves.

Me. Nowadays all I do is make snide remarks and stupid comments.
Join in some silly word game.

I don't know enough to join in the big boys conversations.
When I do try to help someone, my answer is usually way off. Luckily a more qualified person is usually right behind me to fix everything.

And it makes me feel like a pompous ass.
Why don't I just shut up and listen and gain from what is being discussed?
I'm in this classroom to observe, not disturb.
Go to the back of the room, please.

I am sorry, you know.

Sorry to anyone I may have offended or insulted.
I didn't mean it. I was just venting my frustrations, my inadicasees.
My inability to keep up with you otherwise average people.
I thought I was average, but lately I just feel stupid.

Especially last night.
I thought I was an excellent chess player, Definitely above average. Almost unbeatable.

But... not.
After losing 4 matches in a row, I realize... I'm just an average player.
I'm no more gifted at chess than I am at anything else.

I used to be a gifted carpenter. Literally more knowledgeable than any 100 average carpenters.
I know how good I was.
As good at building a house as any developer is to hacking his computer.
I was once told I could walk on water by a very good architect.

My wheelchair won't let me do the one thing I was really good at any more.

One day I checked out somebody's smartphone and was blown away by all that that little thing could do.
I was fascinated by it and yearned to understand it.
I was hooked, as everybody becomes.

And I learned a lot.
I was stylin'!

But not enough for a guy that's had half a dozen smartphones. I should be able to keep up with the "average" conversation in here by now.

Part of the problem is I don't have a computer like I said.
And even if I did, I wouldn't try rooting my S6. I wish it was rooted, but afraid I could easily brick my $800 toy with my limited knowledge.
I want to root my tablet, bad.
And would gladly rent a pc for a couple of days to experiment with it.
But nobody in here will respond to my request for a root method for it. I've googled for it and have been all around xda but can't find mention of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model number anywhere. It's like it don't even exist anywhere except in my living room.

I'm really disappointed with the lack of replies to my wish to root.
I'm stuck with the tablet for 2 years and can't even root it.
I am sick about it.

But, maybe AF is sick of me.
Maybe that's why.
Maybe they're getting ready to ban me.
Maybe that's what this is all about.

That's what this is all about.
This is my apology.

In the future, I will show more respect to the community and all of its members and knock off the stupid bullshit that I sometimes do.
I will not offer any advice unless I am sure of what I am talking about.
And I will join in the fun of some of the games people come up with with renewed appreciation.

I'm going to pick up either an S3 or S4 in a day or two, rent a computer, and do some flashing on it.
I know there is a lot of information on how to root these (except, for rooting and ROMing purposes, which of these two would me more fun to tweak) in here and out there. I actually rooted both of these, I think, shortly after they first came out what seems so long ago.

Maybe, with some success at what I want to do with it as opposed to bricking it, I will start to remember the processes of rooting and flashing, and maybe once again be able to offer some sound advise on the matter like I once did.
And gain back my sorely loss of confidence in my own abilities.

And basically just be a better citizen in the community.

I want to like, and I want to be liked.
I really would like to fit right back in, where I left off a long time ago.

Once again, sorry for any disrespect to any or all.

And sorry to make this post so darn long. I guess I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything important out.

My SwiftKey finger has no fingerprint left on it. :cool:

@sleedeane,
I totally understand where you are coming from. Things seem like they are passing me by the older I get...here, at home, at work.
I'm not very good at offering advice or what to say to folks when they feel down, but please let it be known that you are always welcome here even if you don't think you know what the next guy does. ALOT of times, neither do I :(

Maybe peruse through the Android Questions forum, or the Introductions forum...folks are always looking for help, or just a welcome:)
The Lounge area is nice to hang out in too!

I don't know, try not to feel glum chum ;)
You kick my ass at chess :)

Upvote 0
Meh. I came for the cheese and crackers and stayed for the beer and games.

You're holding your own in the word progression thread :p

FWIW, most everything here is over my head (non-rooter w/no desire) but I read, learn and join in the (easy) topics. Hey, I know how to change a dialer...right up there with the best of 'em on that front!!

Sorry you feel the need to be sorry, no need for that. Don't worry, be happy :D

Upvote 0
Welcome to the third stage, @sleedeane ... Where you have to turn your back on a former life/lifestyle and have to try to figure out what to do next.

I retired from a job I loved; started a new career on the bottom rung, but can't seem to find the old energy and desire to be the best at what I do now.

Part of it is being older, part of it is knowing better, being able to throttle back and not burn myself out... Part of it is wishing I could go back; which I know I can't.

Now I get to tell tales of my chequered past; occasionally dust off my old skills, but mostly to learn a new way of life, at a slightly more sedate pace.

I was once the best at what I did; but that specialty is no longer a needed thing. I am now trying to retool for a different occupation, meanwhile trying to set myself up for a third one, in the distant future.

My advice to you is to worry less about past mistakes, and look forward to future skills and knowledge.

As for chess... Practice helps, as does patience. I have little of either, but I can still play a long game...

Upvote 0
@sleedeane - science has a term to describe your feelings -

It's called, being in a slump.

Your contributions are more important than you're giving yourself credit for.

This last week, you suggested that a weird, blank screen could have been Tapatalk.

Someone said other, I suggested another route - but your initial suggestion could have been correct and your observations about the bottom of the screen shot were also telling, and I'd overlooked those.

It's not a race and imo, you're selling yourself short on this slump.

Az is right, tech changes all of the time, so you're right when you note that it can be daunting.

Is for everyone.

But there isn't a greater value to de-bricking advice, rooting tips, or how to set up email notifications.

By the time someone has gone through the work of not finding what they need in Google, making a login, and chancing that no one will sympathize - but they ask anyway - then that's a huge issue to them, whatever it is, and all answers are welcome!

I post a lot - and I get stuff wrong.

But I also post, "Cool, I didn't know that, TIL (today I learned)," because it doesn't suck when someone reads an answer - and then reads, hey, it's not just me that didn't know.

And it's never a bad thing to chime in and question the established truth if you think it's different from your idea or experience.

And I don't know if you followed many of funkylogik's posts but he was all over all of the above - and became one of our esteemed members.

Like you. ;)

Throw the slump on the fire and have fun. I've spent weeks doing nothing but forum games in my slumps.

But stick around ok, the best is always coming. :)

Upvote 0
In some ways, I'm in a similar situation.

Like you, I'm seriously disabled now and in a wheelchair. No longer able to do the things I used to do. I've still got some things going for me. Money ain't one, but we do OK and I feel like a lucky man in other ways. But no doubt, being disabled is a bitch.

Like you, I'm getting out of touch with the latest rooting methods and lingo. I no longer give much advice regarding rooting procedures or repairing rooting screw-ups.

Unlike you, this is purely by choice. I was sick of bailing people out who borked their device because they failed to do even rudimentary reading and research before attempting to replace their OS. Or was playing fast and loose with root permissions and were happily deleting anything they didn't like the name. I just got tired of the whole rooting routine. I didn't have the time or inclination. It wasn't much fun anymore, and when I realized I didn't really *need* to root anymore, that was pretty much it.

But no need to get bummed because you can't keep up with the latest tech-speak. As a long-term Android user, you have a lot of practical know-how you can pass along. That's what I decided to do. I try to help new users and others with legitimate questions and problems. It's lightened my stress level a lot since I made that a rule.

Thing is, be it in a forum online or a family reunion, do what you can and what you feel comfortable doing. Screw the rest - leave that for people who can and want to deal with it.

Upvote 0
This place is kind of like a "pot luck dinner" Sleedeane, everyone simply brings what they have to the party, no more and no less. Some people bring the food and drinks, and other people bring the napkins and cups, but everyone contributes to us all having a good time!! There are always going to be new people on these forums that know less than you and that you can help out even if you can't grasp the more "cutting edge" stuff at a moment. There are always "why can't I move apps to my SD card?" or " "Storage Problem" topics popping up here that you can help out with and the OPs will be just as grateful as the person trying to root their S6!! I started out on this forum with a problem and ended up sticking around because everyone was so nice and helpful to me that I wanted to return the favor to others. If anyone is a "foot soldier" in the AF "army" it's me, lol. And while I can't help out with any of the really "cool " problems, lol, I still enjoy watching the mods tackle them step by step and learning from listening so that maybe I will be able to help the next person down the line with something that I didn't know about before. Bottom line is that ANYTHING you do, even just some kind words to someone freaking out because their 800 buck phone won't turn on anymore, lol, is important and appreciated. Everyone gets in a "slump" as EarlyMon put it, and the best way to get out of it is just shake it off and move forward. You are totally keeping my "chess on Android" thread alive and well, and I really appreciate that, so it's already one positive thing you are doing for the forums! Nothing worst than seeing your post "banished" to page 99 because no one is answering anything, lmao!!!

Upvote 0
I don't know what's up. I want to "like" some of you alls posts offering your heartfelt advice and comments to me but the only option is to "unlike". I want to like the posts not unlike them.
To those I didn't "like", thank you.
Unless something is broken, that means you've already liked those posts. Looks like you've liked most of the posts, if you don't see your name, click the "# others".

Reactions: sleedeane
Upvote 0
hey... I am one of the worst... at dropping comment bombs. I admit it.
sometimes it just cant be helped... or I cant help myself.

I don't know much either .. was kind of techie .. way in the past.
I learn from some.. give info when I can... (not just tech stuff)
I try to help where I can... and poke the bear where I can

I enjoy the banter .. around any subject.
helps to pass the time... with online friends / enemies / friend-a-mies

I hope to see you around and we have some good banter.. about crap

I have learned long ago... I cant please everyone.
and I respect that everyone has an opinion .. just not as good as mine. :p

Upvote 0
Simply put, the most insightful and inspirational thread I have ever read on AF.
Amazing how many of us feel exactly the same way.
Times are changing. The need for root is practically gone. But it was a blast while it lasted and, I believe, the main reason why google has incorporated so many features in their OS that were only enjoyed by rooting in past years.
LONG LIVE THE HACKERS!

Upvote 0
Simply put, the most insightful and inspirational thread I have ever read on AF.
Amazing how many of us feel exactly the same way.
Times are changing. The need for root is practically gone. But it was a blast while it lasted and, I believe, the main reason why google has incorporated so many features in their OS that were only enjoyed by rooting in past years.
LONG LIVE THE HACKERS!

Well, I feel better. Thank you.

Upvote 0
yeah.. for me.. need for root .. is getting smaller.
less and less reason to root each year.

I have rooted all my android devices..
but 2 yrs ago.. I stopped with: Note 8 tablet and Note 3 phablet

the 1 only reason left for me to root.. updates on the OS.
once the Maker/Carrier drops upgrades for my devices..
I am feeling the need to root them to upgrade android.. but I also feel the need to upgrade the device.. so??

Upvote 0

I am feeling the need to root them to upgrade android.. but I also feel the need to upgrade the device.. so??
Ditto. I haven't rooted last two phones (G2 and S6). Just no need. Don't really miss it either. Came with a lot of headaches. But I restate that it was great while it lasted.

I still remember my first rooting experience (LG Spectrum)... Waiting at my computer all night logged in to AF waiting for the devs to post...
... WE HAVE ROOT!
I got goosebumps when it flashed across the screen. Is that wrong? Does that make me a super geek even though I'm a welder who is posting right now in safety glasses and steel toe boots? Maybe, maybe not, but it sure was fun! Made a lot of friends on AF during that time.

Like I said, I don't necessarily miss rooting but I DO MISS the golden era of rooting here on AF. It got me through a long and lonely time of life restructuring immediately after my release from prison (but that's another story).

I still post every day, but they tend to be mainly in the lounge (entertainment, etc) rather than my device specific forum. Probably a good thing being that the new devices are a lot less troublesome.

All in all, yeah AF is changing but you can bet I'm along for the ride. Nowadays, change is what I do best.

Upvote 0

Im happy with 5.0. Phone works flawlessly. Not sure I want the upgrade anyways. And now you can disable most of the bloat nowadays.
I agree no need to root, except when the xda people build some Roms and we want to play.
I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Reactions: PrinceCorwin
Upvote 0
I just buy Nexus devices. Even less need to root them, which is kinda ironic since rooting a Nexus is intentionally easy. I've even gotten to the point that I usually advise against rooting. A few years ago I never thought I would be saying that.

I haven't had a reasonably recent model spare phone to play around with for quite a while, but about a week ago I acquired a Nexus 4 in good shape. So I might do some fiddling around with that soon.

Upvote 0
I always root my phones, and don't see that changing.

My tablet I haven't rooted yet though. This is partly because it's a less personal, more a "work" device (I use it primarily for reading and annotating documents), partly because I'm giving Samsung a little longer to actually release a Lollipop update for it (there's not much development, so if an update does come I may as well get the OTA - in the meanwhile I get to see how poor Samsung's support for a late 2013 flagship can be!). But sooner or later I will, just to deal with some of the annoyances of unrooted KitKat and SD cards (if no update comes) and eliminate some of the bloat that Samsung decided was so important that they won't even let me disable it. Actually it's sort of funny that I've not done it yet, since there's more stuff that wants sorting on this device than there was on my phone.

I do agree that most people don't need root any more.

I'd like to buy a Nexus, but there always seems to be some reason why they don't work for me: usually too little storage (Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4), though the Nexus 6 was simply too big. I'd probably have bought a Nexus 5 if I'd not bought a HTC One a few months before it came out. If the rumours are correct the Nexus 5X will bring back the "too little storage" problem (I'm at the "managing my space carefully" stage with my One now, so another phone of the same size with no expansion isn't an option). :(

Upvote 0
@Hadron , Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014)? Yeah, i am quite annoyed with the lack of development from Sammy on that one. I've rooted it, but the only reason I don't flash a different rom is because of the lack of developer interest in it and I don't want to lose the one feature I find useful ... s-pen.

I only rooted my Nexus 6 to remove the annoying AT&T startup sound and ugly splash screen. I'm now back to stock and unrooted and frankly don't see the need to root again. If I want to try root apps, I can always use my Nexus 4 or Galaxy S2 which have become my play phones. :)

As to @sleedeane and the topic of the thread ... I don't make this offer to just anybody, but you may walk across my lawn. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones