• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Sort Contacts

Ok I have searched high and low and nothing has helped.
So i finally went all 250 contacts in Gmail and re did their names and cleaned them up.
They all now sort by Last name, First Name.
BUT most of the contacts on my phone that have FB accounts are STILL First, Last. But when I edit the contact on the phone it shows Last, First except at the top and FB
How do I fix this ???

Ok I have searched high and low and nothing has helped.
So i finally went all 250 contacts in Gmail and re did their names and cleaned them up.
They all now sort by Last name, First Name.
BUT most of the contacts on my phone that have FB accounts are STILL First, Last. But when I edit the contact on the phone it shows Last, First except at the top and FB
How do I fix this ???

Export your contact list from google.com/contacts a backup plus a spreadsheet file you will edit. Open the spreadsheet in google docs, and swap the columns. Delete all your contacts from contacts.google.com and re-import the corrected spreadsheet. You can use formulas to help with finding duplicates and incomplete information.

Upvote 0
Trying to get my accounts set up prior to my droid arrival. First time android user here. If I read right, the contact list in the phone sorts alpahbetically by the gmail name field. correct? So, if I want to sort by last name, when I set up the contacts in gmail, I need to input their names in the format I want to sort by...correct? ie, Gmail name: "Smith, Joe" sorts by "Smith" in the phone and "Joe Smith" sorts by "Joe".

Upvote 0
Trying to get my accounts set up prior to my droid arrival. First time android user here. If I read right, the contact list in the phone sorts alphabetically by the gmail name field. correct? So, if I want to sort by last name, when I set up the contacts in gmail, I need to input their names in the format I want to sort by...correct? ie, Gmail name: "Smith, Joe" sorts by "Smith" in the phone and "Joe Smith" sorts by "Joe".

I'd like to be polite, respectful, and helpful here, and suggest that you actually enter your contacts "Family name" in the "Family name" field. their "Given name" in the "Given name" field, etc.. All the individual data fields in the contacts database that gmail uses are labeled, as are the fields in the contacts database that your android based phone or PDA keeps. While the native "Contacts" database management app has no sort order or display options for it's users display of that data, the problem should not be mistaken. You will in a matter of time find yourself exporting or sharing incorrect info about your contacts if you put the names in the wrong fields.

Whether we users are able to prevail upon the people that release future versions of the android systems native "contacts" app to correct the present unacceptable situation, or we simply display a viable market for an app developer to produce a substantially better and marketable "contacts" app, is in question at this point. I can guarantee that 2 years from now the situation will be different, and that hundreds of thousands of smartphone users will be using systems which handle their users contacts information better than what we are seeing here presently.

My bet is that 2 years from now you'll be unhappy with yourself if are keeping a list of scrambled names.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to edit, add, delete FB contacts? I synced mine and half my friends that are on FB did not get synced into my contacts. However My uncle is named Chris and his son is Christopher...well FB so kindly synced both my uncles and cousins all under my cousins info. I for the life of me can not figure out how to delete the incorrect info. When I had my Eris it had this great lil FB button in the contact card and you could press it...it would then pull up ur FB friend list and allow u to choose correct person for that contact. It was amazing and I really miss that!!!

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to edit, add, delete FB contacts? I synced mine and half my friends that are on FB did not get synced into my contacts. However My uncle is named Chris and his son is Christopher...well FB so kindly synced both my uncles and cousins all under my cousins info. I for the life of me can not figure out how to delete the incorrect info. When I had my Eris it had this great lil FB button in the contact card and you could press it...it would then pull up ur FB friend list and allow u to choose correct person for that contact. It was amazing and I really miss that!!!

Log Out of facebook, then you can go to your Google account and see if the merged contacts are in you account, if so try to unmerge them. Else, delete that contact then log back into FB then sync your contacts again.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
please go to

Issue 3732 - android - [Search] Improve contact search - Project Hosting on Google Code

leave your critical, but somehow constructive comment, then

Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code

vote for the issue (and others you agree with) by clicking the star.

Believe it or not (if you're not already familiar with this), it's how us end-users can encourage Google to improve the contacts app.! Google doesn't surf these forums looking for complaints to fix, even though we'd like 'em to. This will affect your options on other phones too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones