• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sort home screen apps alphabetically

JBentleyR

Android Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2014
Cheshire
Samsung Galaxy S8
All my apps appear in random order on my home screen. I have attempted to sort them following the instructions on the Samsung site, which says I should tap the 'three dots' on the home screen and select 'sort' / 'sort alphabetically'.
There is no 'three dots' icon above the list of apps. How can I sort the apps alphabetically, please?

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Long press on each icon and drag each one to the proper position
Thanks. I began by doing that, but thought there might be an easier and quicker solution. I should mention that until yesterday all my home screen icons were arranged alphabetically. Something, somehow jumbled them up!

However, I have now discovered and installed 'Nova Settings' from the Android play store. This is far and away better than the existing arrangement provided by Samsung, and provides many more options for arrangement, etc.
No sooner had I installed it, it had arranged all my desktop icons alphabetically without my even asking. Why can't Samsung do that?!

Thanks anyway for your response.

Upvote 0
I agree that it is usual to download alternative apps that are better than those supplied with the phone. However, many of these ask for payment or include advertising. I was very pleased to see that Nova does neither, though I'd be happy to pay a couple of bob for such a good app.

I have found excellent replacement apps for most all of my needs.

I don't want ads, and an app must be pretty incredible for me to tolerate even having in-app purchases.

There are many apps that have neither ads or in-app purchases.

For any that I must have that have ads, I use a firewall to block internet access to the app and that gets rid of the ads.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones